can't copy and paste text

E

elocs

This seems to have happened since the last Apple update. I can highlight and copy, but when I go to paste the choice to "paste" is faded and unavailable.
Sometimes "paste" does show up, but nothing copies. This is the same on both Safari and Firefox. Any ideas?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
can you not copy and paste using the shortcut keys too?

OP
E

elocs

no, not using shortcut keys or going to edit

PowerBookG4 said:
can you not copy and paste using the shortcut keys too?

It did seem to work fine before the last update, but maybe that was a coincidence. I could copy and paste using any method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm... copy/paste keyboard commands work fine for me, tried them out earlier today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
*shrug*

go to system preferences. keyboard and mouse. keyboard shortcuts. restore defaults?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this an Intel Mini or a G4 mini? Reason I am asking as they updated more in the updates for the Intel mac and I will go check my Intel Mini and see if Copy/Paste still works. It does on all my other macs since the update and I use Copy/Paste daily in my work.

OP
E

elocs

dtravis7 said:
Is this an Intel Mini or a G4 mini? Reason I am asking as they updated more in the updates for the Intel mac and I will go check my Intel Mini and see if Copy/Paste still works. It does on all my other macs since the update and I use Copy/Paste daily in my work.

It's a G4 Mini purchased last summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Can you still highlight, drag and drop the text?

OP
E

elocs

No, I cannot highlight, drag and drop the text. I just tried it right here and it did not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
have we tried repairing permissions?

OP
E

elocs

I have fixed the c&p and it was embarrassingly simple. I leave my Mini on and although after I took the update I did restart it, I have not shut it down. So I thought, why not give it a try. I broke one of my own rules: try the most simple solution first. Thanks for the help and I did learn something from the answers, particularly about repairing disk permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.