Wireless network security

K

klee

I am a newbie to this stuff and I've installed a netgear 802.11 wireless router. My Ibok picks it up immediately and has quite a range, more so than I'd like. I can't figure out how to turn off the ssib or make it more secure so neighbors and such aren't piggy backing on my dime or worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

OP
L

lil

You need to log in to the router (generally the netgear router's are accessed by typing in 192.168.0.1 into Safari or your web browser of choice), from there you should enter the default username and password for the router, and all the options are there for turning off the SSID, enabling encryption and mac address limiting.

Vicky

OP
K

klee

lil said:
You need to log in to the router (generally the netgear router's are accessed by typing in 192.168.0.1 into Safari or your web browser of choice), from there you should enter the default username and password for the router, and all the options are there for turning off the SSID, enabling encryption and mac address limiting.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky, but When I say newbie i really mean it. Just where do I type in the 192.168.0.1 you mentioned? Would that be in the address area?

Ken

OP
L

lil

I repeat :flower:

generally the netgear router's are accessed by typing in 192.168.0.1 into Safari or your web browser of choice

In your web browser :flower:

You should have some form of manual either a small printed guide or a Adobe PDF file on the Router's CD-ROM it came supplied with.

I can't remember all of the options off the top of my head.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.