Impact of Apple X11 on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am a recent switcher from the World of Windows and Linux to Mac. There a few of my old Linux open source programs that I would like to use here on my Mac, and I see via Fink or Darwinports that they are available. Most of them of course require X11. Apple provides X11 with Tiger, but before I install, I wondered how this works. Since there is already a full and very nice graphical subsytem in the Mac, when you add X11, what happens? Does it replace the Mac one? Do they co-exist? Does X11's presence slow down or in any way interfere with the Mac? I LOVE the speed and smoothness of this machine - I don't want to mess it up.

Does anyone have any experience running Apple's X11 on their Mac?

Reaction score
X11 co-exists with aqua. You can switch between the two using command-option-A if in full screen mode or use the aqua GUI in X11. It doesn't slow anything down. I use it in full screen mode using the WindowMaker window manager. There are a lot of great X11 apps out there from Fink And DarwinPorts.

L

lil

I find Apple's X11 environment works fab. I use it for FontForge and rdesktop mostly and it works great!

Vicky

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks folks, I'll give it a whirl!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.