installing Tiger on G4 sawtooth via crossover cable or something!

M

Macpunk

Is there any way i could do this?

The thing is my G4 sawtooth haven´t got a dvd drive and my tiger discs are dvds. My G4 ibook on the contrary has a dvd drive, so I´m thinking...Can I install Tiger over my LAN or via crossover?

thanks in advance.

BTW I tried Google, but it didn´t really come up with anything usefull.

OP
L

lil

FireWire target disk mode. You need a standard 6 to 6pin firewire 400 cable, connect the ibook and PowerMac, and then turn on the PowerMac, hold down 't' until you see the FireWire motif.

Then start the iBook with the Tiger DVD inserted holding down 'C'.

The iBook will boot Tiger's install and from there you should see the Sawtooth's hard drive mounted via FireWire 400.

Vicky

OP
M

Macpunk

thanks. But the problem is i don´t own a firewire cable. Of course i could go out and buy one :)
Is there really no "network install"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Macpunk said:
thanks. But the problem is i don´t own a firewire cable. Of course i could go out and buy one :)
Is there really no "network install"?

No, unless you have the server edition of Mac OS X.
Mac OS X Server costs at least $499,- so I would go with the Firewire solution... :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.