New Imac - Won't Boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I finally took the dive tonight, and picked up a 17" Intel iMac at the Apple Store. Cleared desk space, hooked it up, press the power button, and nothing but a white screen. I have tried COMMAND+OPTION+P+R, but I don't get a second chime (I do hear the first chime at power on). Nothing happens but a white screen. Put the OS disc in the drive (it accept it), and if I power up with that in the drive, the drive spins up, but then stops. Anything else anyone can think of before I box it up to return it? Thanks!

Mark

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I've covered everything, and it's late. Off to bed. It's packed up and ready to exchange tomorrow AM. Ah well. I'm no less excited about firing up the new iMac . . . as soon as I get one that works. :)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
its probably better that you didnt get responses. its a new computer and you shouldnt expect anything less than having it work out of the box. If there really is a problem then they have to replace it

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TBoblp said:
its probably better that you didnt get responses. its a new computer and you shouldnt expect anything less than having it work out of the box. If there really is a problem then they have to replace it

Exactly what they did, but of course, when I returned it, I thought, "Ya know, it's silly not to upgrade to the 20" iMac", so that's what I did. The new iMac booted flawlessly, is now grabbing updates, and is well, HUGE! :) Perhaps things worked out for the best. This is now my second Mac, and I can't wait to get it all setup. Thanks for the response!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, you couldnt resist the lure of the 20"!

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TBoblp said:
haha, you couldnt resist the lure of the 20"!

Exactly. I've been working with 17" LCDs for a long time, and when you think about the extra screen real estate, and the larger HD, bumped up CPU, it seemed to make sense. This message comes from the new iMac! So much tweaking lies ahead, but then, that's what it's all about. :)

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
geekboy2000 said:
Exactly. I've been working with 17" LCDs for a long time, and when you think about the extra screen real estate, and the larger HD, bumped up CPU, it seemed to make sense.
Mark

Exactly. Everybody I've talked to says "you paid that much more for 3 more inches?" No, I paid that much more for 90 more GBs of space, a faster CPU, and then 3 more inches. and for that the extra price seems like nothing and i dont feel buyers remorse coming on anytime soon. congrats on your purchase

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.