Network Questions

A

AMacSoon

In Finder, I have an icon called "Network", which (correctly) displays aliasses to my NAS and other computers.

However, If I click on an alias (no matter which server) it tells me "Alias not found". If I have a look at the alias info, it says something like "nfs://automount".

What's wrong here? What I'd like to have is some aliasses to all servers and / or shared folders in my network.

I am sure, there is a simple solution, but I still have to get used to the simple way of thinking :)

Thanx,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I had similar problems until I made sure all my computers were in the same workgroup, and the workgroup was case sensitive and had to be a single word without spaces. After that it worked. Of course you also have to enable sharing on all those computers too. I was able to see everything, just not connect to them. Once you connect successfully, you will have a mounted icon on your desktop like a cd or other drive.

OP
A

AMacSoon

rcltrh said:
I had similar problems until I made sure all my computers were in the same workgroup

In Windows, they are in the same workgroup. But where do I define the workgroup in Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMacSoon said:
In Windows, they are in the same workgroup. But where do I define the workgroup in Mac OS X?

Go to System Preferences and choose Sharing and enable Windows File Sharing. If you have more than one account you will have to choose the ones you want to allow.

Next, go to Applications/Utilities and choose Directory Access. Select SMB/CIF from the list, then Configure. Enter the Workgroup's name there.

Reaction score
HI,

this is my first mac, an new intel imac. I want to get all my info off my old laptop and it's running ubuntu breezy badger. I'm not that computer savy, that's why I bought the mac. I'm hoping the solution is simple. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
paulgroovy said:
HI,

this is my first mac, an new intel imac. I want to get all my info off my old laptop and it's running ubuntu breezy badger. I'm not that computer savy, that's why I bought the mac. I'm hoping the solution is simple. Any ideas?

Thanks
Thats interesting, that you conisder yourself not that computer savvy but still use Linux. I'm might be suffering from a bit of misconeption but doesn't Lunix require some. Beyond that I have no clue sorry to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IronMac said:
Thats interesting, that you conisder yourself not that computer savvy but still use Linux. I'm might be suffering from a bit of misconeption but doesn't Lunix require some. Beyond that I have no clue sorry to say.
If Linux is pre-setup on a system so that you don't have to do anything major with the hardware or OS installation, it is pretty simple and straightforward to use. Some Linux installs behave almost like Windows (Red hat, Fedora Core), some resemble OSX (Mandrake I think maybe?), and some are in between.

Reaction score
I switched to mac because I'm not computer savy. I'm no longer near the people that used to help me set up my computer, so that's why I bought a mac. It's supposed to be easier. Anyhow, I have a lot of data on my linux machine that I would like to import onto the mac. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Maybe somebody knows something that may help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.