• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Region Free Powerbook software

Reaction score
Hello. This is the first time im posting on this board, i hope my question gets answered quickly and i become a regular here!
The very first time i put a dvd in my powerbook, i was amazed that it asked me what region i wanted to play, and that i can actually switch it 5 times!
Now i can only switch it two more times, and i think it would be AMAZING if i can find some sort of program that let it be region free, or let me switch the region as many times as i want...
Any hope here?
Thanks in advance everyone.
P.s. I hope this was placed in the right forum, mods feel free to move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
CashOverAss said:
Hello. This is the first time im posting on this board, i hope my question gets answered quickly and i become a regular here!
The very first time i put a dvd in my powerbook, i was amazed that it asked me what region i wanted to play, and that i can actually switch it 5 times!
Now i can only switch it two more times, and i think it would be AMAZING if i can find some sort of program that let it be region free, or let me switch the region as many times as i want...
Any hope here?
Thanks in advance everyone.
P.s. I hope this was placed in the right forum, mods feel free to move.

I believe VLC Player will play DVD's regardless of region, eliminating the need to change/hack the region settings associated with the drive itself.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
umm.. simple way is:
- Disable DVD player from starting up when a DVD is inserted
- Install VLC
- VLC > Preferences > Audio > Output Module > coreaudio - change to '1'

After that VLC will play any DVD you put in. Never worry about regions again.

edit: otherwise it requires a firmware change in your drive which i dont know much about, try searching the forums and google for 'region free' and see what happens
-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
awesome. thank you. im gonna look into it now. do you use this program? or have you just heard of it? any idea of if its free, or if there are any cons to using it? im relatively happy with idvd, and im not looking to replace it. just have a second program for the once in a blue moon i wanna watch a region 2 dvd
thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i use vlc all of the time. mainly to watch movies i have ripped on my computer in video_ts folders, avi files etc. basically the program can play anything you throw at it

search versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for it
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
CashOverAss said:
thank you coach. i like your antimilk aviator. are you vegan?

yep, vegan for a year and a half
-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
wow. good job. me two. actually for about the same amount of time also. my two years is in like september. thanks again for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Check out Erroneous (to be used with VLC) as well. It will let you set it up so that when you put in a DVD it asks you what program you want to play it in. You can customize the list of options to your liking. Works great for me.

V

voyager1

Hi, greetings from an Irishman. I have just joined the forum as I was looking for away to play discs from around the globe. I live in England and we are region 2, however I have a small but growing collection of region 1 discs. I have found the above useful and have downloaded VLC (thanks for that). However now the problem has reversed and I find that VLC will play my region 1 discs but not my region 2's. I also find the picture quality poorer, the sound lower and if I enter full screen mode I seem to lose controls. Any suggestions......??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.