Buying Mac Mini~

L

Logan

I will be going to the local shops and seeing how much they're charging for the older G4 Mac Mini boxes, from what I've researched the 'reasons' for getting an Intel Mac is 1) For the future when applications are universal, 2) To run windows XP on your Mac (Which I don't care for), otherwise the chip doesn't really make any major difference.

Anyone have a suggestion where I can buy a Mac Mini, other than apple.com and local stores? (egghead-like places)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Logan said:
I will be going to the local shops and seeing how much they're charging for the older G4 Mac Mini boxes, from what I've researched the 'reasons' for getting an Intel Mac is 1) For the future when applications are universal, 2) To run windows XP on your Mac (Which I don't care for), otherwise the chip doesn't really make any major difference.

Anyone have a suggestion where I can buy a Mac Mini, other than apple.com and local stores? (egghead-like places)

I just did a quick look, and it doesn't look like they'll be too easy to find, however eBay looks like a good source. Found this link to one that might be a good candidate.

FWIW, I bought my PPC G4 mini in late December, and was lucky enough to get the 1.5 GHZ processor w/64MB VRAM. I believe that you'll find significantly enhanced performace with the Intel mini, but this thing handles everything I throw at it (although I did bump the RAM to 1GB). I'm pretty sure the Intel minis will take 2GB RAM, which if so, is another reason it might be worth going with an Intel. Either way though, I think you'll be happy. I love mine! Good luck!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I got an Intel Mini, and i have to say, Way better proformance than the G4's!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini CD 1.66; 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
I haven't used a PPC Mini, but my Intel Mini is great. And yes, they can be upgraded to 2GB RAM. You should also check for the Apple refurbs on their site. They have Solo and Duo Cores for about $100 cheaper than retail...and you might get a bonus! I ordered a refurb Core Duo with 512MB RAM and ended up getting 2GB. Obviously that's not something you can plan on but it still might not be a bad place to look.

OP
L

Logan

I ordered a Mac mini on friday and it's arriving on tuesday.. I can't wait

I bought the .. uhh, best you can get dual core intel whatever.... Also bought a new 19 inch monitor to go with it and this LED light up keyboard that all match more or less the macmini...

This is going to be my firstmac so in tradition of what I've read somewhere I'm gonna take pictures and post it on a site some where for you other nerds tocheck if you like...

:D

OP
L

Logan

It arrived early! woohoo... and DOH!
it's 12:30pm and I don't get home from work until 5pm... the insanity.. must try new mac mini!

OP
L

Logan

This is being posetd on my new mac mini.
Other than getting over the whole "throwsomething somewhere to get it moved" I am overall enjoying my smooth animated, smooth (and secure) OS X :D

Hopefuly I can enjoy the sound tonight when I turn off my roaring PC and listen to the wispful sounds of the Mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Congratulations! The mini is an amazing machine. It makes you wonder, "So, ok, just what exactly does all that extra stuff in that other big box really do?" :) Enjoy!

Mark

OP
L

Logan

well the video card sucks on the mac mini sadly... it really shows on video games.

But I turned off my noisy PC and left the mac mini on last night... I slept and it was sooo quiet ... I'm in love with the quiet ness of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I've got mine in my room and it hasn't been turned off in 4 months now, it will never wake you up unless you use the alarm widget. :)

As for the performance compared to a G4 mini (what I have), the G4 can handle basically anything you throw at it but expect ot be waiting a while on some more processor intensive stuff, great for the basics though.

EDIT - Just noticed that you have it already, good job. Also, yes the graphics do suck but you won't be playing many games on it I hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
as long as you put extra RAM in the new INTEL ones it works great. I have a G4 Mini, it has its own VRAM and video card, not taking RAM from the 512 already supplied for video like the new INTEL ones. Thats the only downfall. But still with FRONTROW and the remote, Faster Processor...ITs a great deal.

Just needs More RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.