• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The end for Creative?????

Reaction score
I want to start this thread by saying that when i was growing up I loved Creative products, if it werent for creative I would never have enjoyed games with sound on my old PC, playing lucasarts games till 1am and laughing out loud at the goofy sounds.

It seems a long time since computers making more than bleep sounds were a technological wonder, but it wasn't all that long ago. One company that really gave all PCs a voice was Creative in the form of its Soundblaster product line. Cut forward to modern day and Creative are in dire straits, their financial peformance is on the way down yet they still produce the usual assortment of decent quality products. I guess the important word here is "usual", Creative have failed to take into account the importance of controlling the media which their end up ultimately on their players and by allowing itself to be steered too much by Microsoft, the firm now faces a very bleak future.

Yet its citing of the Zen patent infridgement for me signals that the Creative team are in a desperate fight to save the company from slipping further. Could Creative really expect to take apple to court over an interface which owes pretty much all of its basis to the Finder's hierachical setup?. Apples quick rebuff has today taken it toll on the company and financially Creative are on their knee's.

I guess the point of this post is to say that at some point Creative stopped innovating in the true sense, the recent HD Mp3 player additions whilst technically superior to the IPOD's lack any true standout features and bear too much of a passing resemblance to Apple's offering. It is a really sad day in Creatives book as it goes to show the cost of not forcing through constant innovations.

The really interesting question would be what is the future for Creative? Should they dump their MP3 business or can they even survive as they are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Creative just doesn't get it: they have terrible marketing. $100 million dollars marketing the Zen last year? The way their marketing department spent it it seems more like $10.

M

MaCABRE

Yah. I agree. There are better ways to spend that sum. The results are not worth the amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
creative advertised the zen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
coach_z said:

Thank You, I was just thinking that.....

I think Creative has some fight in them, but their Chairman, Mr Hoo, needs to get the boot if they want to survive..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
coach_z said:

They blew $100 million on it last year...

Yea, I know, I didn't know it to until a week ago when I read about it on CNN.

M

MJGUK

to_tough_to_die said:
Creative just doesn't get it: they have terrible marketing.
Totally agree.

It always astounds me how bad some marketing departments are.
Well actually I guess it doesn't anymore because it's so common, but you do wonder how they manage to spend those kinds of figures so badly....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MJGUK said:
Totally agree.

It always astounds me how bad some marketing departments are.
Well actually I guess it doesn't anymore because it's so common, but you do wonder how they manage to spend those kinds of figures so badly....

But it's not even that it was bad marketing: it's like it never even happend. How do you manage to spend one hundred million dollars and not manage to have people know who you are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Win Zen

I have not been impressed with any music player and its interoperability with Windows. To be honest, I think the ipod kinda sucks on windows too. Half the time I plugged mine into my windows box, it wasnt recognized. I'd have to restart the itunes helper service to get it to see my ipod mini.

I really think the only way to beat apple itunes / ipod is to fight them on their own turf - on the mac. The one thing all these failures in internet music sales have in common is Windows and windows media. They all have their own players, their own stores, different selections of music and all different kinds of licensing.

No one wants to deal with that crap just to listen to a song.

L

lil

Hear Hear!

That is why the iTunes/iTMS/iPod scheme of things largely works, but the day MS gets its act together with one consistent store and a good hardware manufacturer—the better.

The other issue is that a lot of MP3 players are just rubbish (and note I have not used the Creative ones) but have used ones from Philips, Sanyo, Goodmans, Pure, JVC, Sony, Panasonic are well how can I put this—are crap. Especially the Philips ones which we sell at work and every one of them had been returned with hardware failures. The Sanyos pack in after a while, the Panasonics like most you can't read in daylight...

If Apple made the iPod more compatible with open standards music formats, that would be a very good thing.

Oddly enough, when I worked selling Apple gear, most opf the iPod issues were with owners running Windows PCs-though much of this can be attrinuted with far more people owning PCs than Macs.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.