Last Time I Ask Lol

C

caveatipss

Ok, I really need to find this out before I order my Mini tomorrow. Has anyone here, or anyone you know, ever played WoW on a Mini? Anyone? Thanks lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
how about saving up for an imac and being secure about whether or not it will work..................... or take the plunge for the mini either or works...............................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
wait man wait.....to me it sounds like you need a little more computer than the mini.

-chris

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
Ok, I really need to find this out before I order my Mini tomorrow. Has anyone here, or anyone you know, ever played WoW on a Mini? Anyone? Thanks lol.
I haven't played WoW on any hardware with Intel's GMA 950. That said, on the WoW official forums, users seem generally pleased with the performance (Intel based mini and new MacBook). There is an official "blue" post that reads:

WoW has a bit of a tough time on Intel graphics, but we expect this to improve after a round of future display driver updates.

More concretely, we see higher FPS in XP than in OSX on that class of GPU, so we know the hardware is capable of more than the current OSX drivers achieve. It's something Apple is actively working on.

If you're intersted, you can read a little more about Intel's GMA 950 here.

OP
C

caveatipss

coach_z said:
wait man wait.....to me it sounds like you need a little more computer than the mini.

-chris

Ideally yes, but I need a home computer now, and it would take a few more months to get an iMac. So here is what I am ordering tomorrow:

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 120GB Serial ATA drive
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
* Intel GMA950 graphics
* Accessory kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I hope you aren't buying that ram from Apple. If cost is a big concern, and from your 200 other posts it seems to be, you need to source those parts from an outside vendor. And as far as the 120GB internal drive, I would maybe cut back on that as well depending on cost. You can always add an external firewire drive with tons more storage for very cheap down the road.

OP
C

caveatipss

techster82 said:
I hope you aren't buying that ram from Apple. If cost is a big concern, and from your 200 other posts it seems to be, you need to source those parts from an outside vendor. And as far as the 120GB internal drive, I would maybe cut back on that as well depending on cost. You can always add an external firewire drive with tons more storage for very cheap down the road.

But it is hard to install RAM on the Mini. I do not want to try and ruin it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not hard at all to install ram on the mini. Ram installation is one of the most basic installations on any computer today. I understand your hesitance, especially if you have never opened a computer before. I just hate to see you get bent over by Apple, especially when its a chunk of change like that.

OP
C

caveatipss

I know alot abou tthe insides of PCs, but I have read on different sites that installing Ram in the Mini is somewhat difficult, as the slots are horizontal and very close, and since the Mini was not manufactured to be opened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those same sites should also show you how easy the mini is to open if you take your time and don't try to just pry it open. Ram slots are horizontal on laptops as well and upgrading them is no problem. I just hate to see Apple take that money from you. Its your decision and as long as you feel good about it thats all that matters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.