• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Advice on desktop mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
First of all, I'll apologize for the long post

Here's the deal, whenever the intel-based powermacs (whatever they may be called) come out I intend to buy one, but not until Apple releases it's new OS and not until a rev B or maybe even rev C, which could easily be at least a year from now (I think) but I would like to have some kind of desktop to accompany my Powerbook, can't say I really need one, my PB does everything I need without a problem, so I suppose it's just a new toy (I justify it as a backup:)) but on that note I don't want to spend a lot of money, 3 options I have been considering is a MDD G4 (dual 800mhz-1ghz), a Mini G4(1.25-1.42ghz), or a new Intel Mini. I would like it to be able to do light video editing and some fairly intensive photoshop work, running windows or non-ppc apps isn't really a concern of mine yet. I've been leaning towards the MDD b/c it is the most upgradable/expandable despite it's age and they are just plain sexy and I have to imagine it is as capable as my PB, the Mini G4 is the cheapest investment but I'm a little put off by the 32mb VRAM, the Intel mini probably has the longest lifespan of usefulness and best resale value but again I'm leery of the 64mb shared graphics and would have to lean towards the solo core, since the dual IMHO is overpriced when you may as well jump straight to an Imac for a little more, also I doubt it's any faster than the G4 mini and most likely slower than the MDD, plus I'd be running cs2 apps through rosetta and the intel mini also suffers from the smallest hd of the three. Any opinions or advice on which to go for would be greatly appreciated (or if you think I'm impatient and just wasting cash feel free to say that too;))
Thanks, Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
To be honest, I think you'd be better off saving your money to get a good Intel PowerMac (or whatever they want to call it... it'll be the MacMac the way they are naming things now :p ) If you really want a "desktop" feel, get a 2nd monitor and a keyboard and mouse for when you are at your desk. But for what you've said you want to do, your PowerBook sounds like it will be exactly what you need. So save your money and use it to upgrade the features of the Intel Mac you plan to buy sometime next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
daz087 said:
To be honest, I think you'd be better off saving your money to get a good Intel PowerMac (or whatever they want to call it... it'll be the MacMac the way they are naming things now :p ) If you really want a "desktop" feel, get a 2nd monitor and a keyboard and mouse for when you are at your desk. But for what you've said you want to do, your PowerBook sounds like it will be exactly what you need. So save your money and use it to upgrade the features of the Intel Mac you plan to buy sometime next year.

I agree with this, and not only that, when you buy an apple display.. you can count on when you buy the intel power mac.. that you will have dual displays.. or you can save money by not buying one later. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.