worth $200 for 1ghz ibook over 933mhz?

P

plmul8357

I am considering getting an ibook g4 to replace my old ibm laptop. I've decided on the 14" version; the 12" is simply too small and I don't travel with it a whole lot. I will use it for word processing, email, as well as some photoshop, but I'm not a heavy user. Is it worth spending the $200 on getting the 1ghz version over the 933mhz or should I spend half the money on airport? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the difference between 933 and 1ghz is minimal and hardly noticable. Airport can be of use whereas the 67 mhz will not make much of a difference

OP
W

Wizard

You get what you pay for.

Let's not forget that 200 bucks is increasing the size of your hard drive by 50%.

However, judging from your description, it sounds like you don't really need the 1GHz model, and you can't really live w/o an Airport Extreme card, in my view. So you may want to go with the 933 if you're pressed for cash or if the iBook is not your main computer.

I got the 1GHz model because the iBook is my main computer.

OP
N

NOFEER

I bought my wife the 933 and put the savings into airport and bluetooth, i will add ram later as the 1gb single chip gets lower in price, so far at 256 i've not had no problem. but i may need virtual pc later this year, and then i will look to a forum to test the applet before i buy the ram. my objective is be able to use vpc and get rid of my dell, substitute it with a g5 PB-

but this 933 rocks, takes about 35secs to encode from cd to aac per song, and the battery life is impressive. my dell at 1.3ghz needs two batteries to match the ibook. i'm getting about 5.5 hours without using the optical drive and almost 3 with using the drive.
at first i was thinking of getting pb 12 my wife liked both ibook and pb but the longer battery life and the lower price pushed me over.

OP
P

plmul8357

wizard - i don't especially need airport, but everybody's talking about it and it looks like thats going to be very helpful to have in a year or so.

nofeer - you mentioned specifics about the 933mhz (e.g. 35 secs to rip a song), do you have similar specs on the 1ghz?

if anybody else has specific specs on the difference between a 1ghz and a 933mhz g4 ibook, i'd be very happy. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the 35 seconds to rip the song would not be controlled by the processor but rather the CD drive used in the system

OP
S

shadov

trpnmonkey41 said:
the 35 seconds to rip the song would not be controlled by the processor but rather the CD drive used in the system
Are you sure?

Assume average song is 4 min = 240 s long. At 32x speed it would take 7.5 s to read the song from CD. That should be still less than ten seconds even if the drive must first spin up and find the right track.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.