• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Firmware Updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Got a new firmware update today.

I Installed it and restarted and then while it was installing the fans went on high power and it scared me for a second. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mini Single Core/ 1GB RAM/ Superdrive: Ipod Nano 2GB
Did they eventually calm back down and remain as they were before? I'm just curious as there has been some buzz at Apple's own boards about the fan staying at a high rate of speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Yeah, once the update is finished the fans return to normal.

It explains that before you start the update.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Yes, back to normal for me too.

Reaction score
I noticed the fan stays on all the time now, with this latest firmware update. It no doubt keeps the system cooler, but things are not so silent as they once were. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the iMac is still a lot quieter than my tower, which sounds like a vaccum cleaner by comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What type of Mac do you have? I just updated to 4.6 and did the firmware upgrade and everything is still running silent.

Reaction score
wxboss said:
What type of Mac do you have?
This is in an iMac 2GHz Core Duo.

It's still quiet, though the fans are on full-time since the latest firmware update. No biggie, just an observation.

Edit: I'm referring to the latest SMC firmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting...I had my new mini for several days (OSX 4.5 installed) and the fan always ran (sleep mode disabled) albeit quietly. Since the 4.6 and SMC upgrade, everything has continued as it was when I first received it.

I didn't realize that the fan would stop/not run all the time for some folks. Given the tight living quarters inside a Mini, I would expect it to run continuously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.