Airtunes with multiple computers

M

Marlow

I'm contemplating buying an Airport Express for streaming music (amongst other things) and was wondering how it works with more than one computer. For example, at my bar I was thinking of using it to stream music from my laptop behind the bar to the DJ booth when I work alone. What happens when a costumer comes in with their laptop and plays music on their itunes??? Or a guest in my house etc?

Thanks,

Marlow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
You can enabled the password protection for sharing in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Marlow said:
I'm contemplating buying an Airport Express for streaming music (amongst other things) and was wondering how it works with more than one computer. For example, at my bar I was thinking of using it to stream music from my laptop behind the bar to the DJ booth when I work alone. What happens when a costumer comes in with their laptop and plays music on their itunes??? Or a guest in my house etc?

When a computer joins a wireless network with an Airport Express with AirTunes enabled, on the bottom right corner of iTunes appears a dropdown box allowing you to choose the Computer, or <name of AirTunes> names of available places to stream music. You have to actually make the selection to play in iTunes, but you can password it in the Base Station Admin Utility to prevent anyone else from using it. AND you cannot stream to an Airport Express when it is in use by another computer.

Good luck, it's a great idea and the sound quality is excellent IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.