glossy screen?

S

steve zissou

what is "glossy" about the screen? and what would you rather have, black or white regardless of price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The screen reflects a lot more light now. Take a look at Sony's new laptops and you'll see what they mean. I guess it's better for watching DVDs and viewing pictures, but I don't like the upped reflectiveness.

I'd rather have a black MacBook, but not the black that unfortunately came out. The black of the 5G iPod, the glossy black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I saw the macbooks last night at the apple store and honestly, I cant stand the glossy screens. If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
PunkRockTuba said:
If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.
I am pretty sure Apple knew that if they went with a glossy black Macbook, it would scratch up like crazy just as the iPods did. This being the reason why they wen't with a flat finish.

OP
S

steve zissou

yeah, i love the way my 5th gen has the glassy coating around it....blew me away when i opened the box. but, the easily scratchable coating on a labtop just wouldnt do. does the black on the macbook look good? on the website it looks, well, out of place. id have to see them before i decide, but i think id go with the original white to say i have an apple and have it tell all those windows users to suck it :]. but the glowing white apple on the cover of a black macbook sounds pretty cool

OP
J

jonathanriley

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but i thought it might just be worth recording that i held off getting a new laptop to see if the new macbooks would have a matte screen option. If there were to have been such an option, i would have bought a matte screen macbook without a question. As it is, i went and bought a windoze laptop; i just can't stand those glossy screens, and was so disappointed that apple didn't give us an option at the macbook level as they do at the macbook pro level. I notice that many posters at this forum seem to like the glossy screen, but i can't find a single person in life who will have a kind word for them.

Come on Apple, give us a choice; why should you make matte screen peeps have to go and buy windows junk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
i agree mate
the uneven brightness is bad enough and the glossy crap

apple hardware has really sucked this yeear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I personally enjoy the glossy screen. I have no problems with uneven brightness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz
I too prefer a glossy screen... I'd be surprised if all of the manufacturers don't start phasing out the matte screens...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
I love the glossy screen, the picture looks much more vibrant then the non-glossy screens.
I also like the flat black look and although it shows prints its not as likely to scratch; now that I think about it my black 5g ipod shows prints ALOT easier then my macbook.

Reaction score
the glossy screen is far superior than the matte screen, every color is much more vibrant, and also no glare and the screen is a heck of a lot brighter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo
Here's to reviving an old thread. Anyone buy a matte anti-glare screen protector? I like the glossy screen but sometimes it has too much glare and reflection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 C2D.1gb Ram
i like the glossy screen, it sorta makes colors "Pop"

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
I have a gloss screen on my desk top where I can controll the lighting and I like it alot but went with a matt screen on my mpb and glad I did

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I like the glossy too, never really had a problem with glare or reflections to be honest.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I like the glossy too, never really had a problem with glare or reflections to be honest.

ditto.

though the vertical viewing angle is pretty shallow, it definitely gets darker or lighter by quite a bit as you raise or lower your head. wierd thing is that the horizontal viewing angle is very wide.

Jen

Reaction score
I am a designer. I like matte but glossy is a new one, I know PC has many glossy screen.

I spent a lot researched between matte and glossy before I bought a Macbook Pro (got it this week). I read 'matte vs glossy' on articles, blogs and forums. So many odd users commented they like matte and glossy, so many complained about glossy that has reflective from light. I wrote down two lists between matte and glossy what I am going to use and what matte/glossy are for. It did help me, probably just I am a designer have experience such as solving problems. I was worried about glare on glossy screen. I found someone said Apple's glossy has less reflective than PC's glossy. I was really stuck both, wish there is one display in the middle of 50% matte/glossy screen (hope you know what I mean). After done researched, I took a look at my CRT monitor, had glossy and glare. I imagined them as MacbookPro glossy screen. I can stand with glare, I don't even notice them unless I see in my eyes on focus. I can ignore them while looking stuff on display. No problem so far. I decided to go with glossy :)

The results are:
Matte is good for accurate colours, reduce eyestrain and print.
Glossy is good for viewing, rich colours, multimedia (videos, photos and movies).

I wish to choose matte for MBP but I don't need to, because I am not going to design or print except PC desktop as I planned to buy LCD widescreen display (matte).

I'm glad this is my first MAC personally :) I have used PowerMAC G5 with 20" Cinema display at college.

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
I wrestled with this for awhile before purchasing a black Macbook a couple of weeks ago. I am very pleased with the glossy screen as well as the black shell. I like that the black casing 'blends in' when watching a movie, and I've had no real problems with glare from the screen.

Generally, the decision between colors comes down to:

white - apple 'signature' color, eye-catching, doesn't show fingerprints but does show dirt and tends to discolor

black - many claim it looks like every other laptop (though the white apple logo on the black is cool), shows fingerprints, costs more

For me, I decided the discoloration and general dinginess of the white macbooks I saw at the Apple Store would bother me more than the fingerprints on a black one.

Good luck!
mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
i like the glossy screen, it sorta makes colors "Pop"

:D

The results are:
Matte is good for accurate colours, reduce eyestrain and print.
Glossy is good for viewing, rich colours, multimedia (videos, photos and movies).

Totally agree! :flower:

Reaction score
Glossy screen is great, as long as you don't use your machine outside. Outside I can't see --bad word--

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.