Macbook fan noise?

Reaction score
I just got my Macbook last night and tonight I have been putting it together. I have noticed that a weird noise, sounds like the fan, comes off and on every 5-8 seconds and only lasts for like 3 seconds. It's really annoying and I have no clue what it is! Does anyone know what is causing this noise? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

K

klatt

StarBrite310 said:
I just got my Macbook last night and tonight I have been putting it together. I have noticed that a weird noise, sounds like the fan, comes off and on every 5-8 seconds and only lasts for like 3 seconds. It's really annoying and I have no clue what it is! Does anyone know what is causing this noise? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem, as are a few others, check out:

Apple.com Discussions

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
do you guys have a CD or DVD in the drive? Just curious.

I

iMacMan

Well... If it sounds like a fan, maybe it's a fan. CPUs need fans to cool down. der.

K

klatt

iMacMan said:
Well... If it sounds like a fan, maybe it's a fan. CPUs need fans to cool down. der.

We know it's the fan. It's the fact that the fan comes on for about 2 seconds then shuts off then 2 seconds later turns on for another 2 seconds that is troublesome. Sounds like it is akin to the "moo" sound that the MBP's had. It is definitely not normal. My girlfriends MB that she just got doesn't act like this at all. There is no way this can be normal behavior.

Frank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.