single user mode

Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by "locked"?

OP
P
Reaction score
I mean that it is locked up, I purchased my laptop from a school who was selling their older laptops, in order to upgrade. When I got it I didnt get the admin password, so I cant change anyhting, and when I try single user mode, it doesnt load. I think the school blocked the mode to prevent students from hacking the machine.

Reaction score
You can reset the password by starting up from an install cd/dvd and choosing "reset password" from the menu.

I may be wrong, but I think the single user lock is done from open firmware. You probably will need their password to undo this. There is an util for doing this but you might need the original password to change/undo it. Don't know, i've never used open firmware passwords myself.

J

JunMacTech

cradom said:
You can reset the password by starting up from an install cd/dvd and choosing "reset password" from the menu.

I may be wrong, but I think the single user lock is done from open firmware. You probably will need their password to undo this. There is an util for doing this but you might need the original password to change/undo it. Don't know, i've never used open firmware passwords myself.

You are correct, sounds like open firmware. What I would do is contact the school that you purchased it from, explain your situation, and if they can't/won't fix the problem, ask for a refund. Im pretty sure that there is a way to hack the open firmware, and I'll look for it, but I suggest this route first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.