imac or mac book pro

L

linuxinu

I'm thinking about buying a new computer (mom wants my ibook, lol), and I was wondering whats the difference between a mac book pro and an imac. The processor's seem to be the same as well as the ram. The only differences that I note is that the imac has a bigger display, a larger avaliable hard drive, and that its a desktop. Are there any true advantages to buying an imac vs. a mac book pro, besides price? When I baught my ibook there was a vast difference between the ibook g4 and the imac g5 but now there dosn't seem to be any difference at all. Why would they make all their computers around the same power?

Reaction score
the 2.16 ghz macbook pro is faster than the imac

OP
L

linuxinu

So then why buy an imac? Why is apple making all its machines the same speed. The only difference that I've found as far as upgradeablility is that the imac unlike the mac book pro has a socket so you can eventually upgrade the processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 500 Beige
EDIT-XTREEM said:
the 2.16 ghz macbook pro is faster than the imac
I doubt it, because the MacBook Pro has a much slower harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Harddrive speed doesn't make that much of a difference, or at least that's what I've noticed. It really comes down to processor speed and RAM.

I say you get the MacBook Pro because it's portable.

Reaction score
why would they make the computer the same speed.. geee i wonder?
... same power but mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
linuxinu said:
So then why buy an imac? Why is apple making all its machines the same speed. The only difference that I've found as far as upgradeablility is that the imac unlike the mac book pro has a socket so you can eventually upgrade the processor.

why buy an imac? because some people are desktop people and some people are laptop people. the imac has a biggger display and it's cheaper too. this is why apple has similar processor speeds in their new computers. it's stupid to force someone to buy a slower computer because it's the only one that fits their form factor requirements. we should be happy we have such a selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I say you should define your needs. Do you use your iBook on the go a lot, or does it mainly just stay on your desk? I say if you are the latter--then get the iMac -- bigger screen, better ergonomics, better audio, and much cheaper price tag.

Note: we haven't seen as many problems with the iMac as we have the Macbook Pro including the MBP's whine and heat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Isn't the Graphics card different between the two? I think one is "mobile" while the other is "desktop", not too sure though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
goobimama said:
Isn't the Graphics card different between the two? I think one is "mobile" while the other is "desktop", not too sure though.

the macbook pro has the ati mobility x1600 and the imac has the ati x1600, but i think it's the same gpu on a differently sized card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.