just installed 1 GB more of RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
and my computer has frozen twice. I made sure to get the exact same kind as the other 1 GB stick that I bought last time. The last one didn't give me any problems.
what should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
are you getting a kernel panic?? aka a big grey screen that tells you to restart your computer in 5 million different languages???

if so, or even if not, most likely you got some bad ram, return it where you got it and get a new stick. you should not have to pay anything for replacement ram

also, make sure that it is seated correctly, take it out and put it back in again and make sure it is seated correctly

-chris

ps, your pbook will fly after that upgrade

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
are you getting a kernel panic?? aka a big grey screen that tells you to restart your computer in 5 million different languages???

if so, or even if not, most likely you got some bad ram, return it where you got it and get a new stick. you should not have to pay anything for replacement ram

also, make sure that it is seated correctly, take it out and put it back in again and make sure it is seated correctly

-chris

ps, your pbook will fly after that upgrade

the first time the screen was just frozen and i had to do a hard restart. second time it was the grey screen. If it does it again, I'll return it. It's been about 3 hours since it did it last, so I'll see how it does the rest of the day. Is it possible it would just freeze twice and then be fine?

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's an update, after a few days, i checked the About this Mac and it showed that only 1 GB was working, so I fooled around with the RAM switching slots and using the old RAM. At one point my PB wouldn't even start up and then with the old 512 RAM the PB was showing it was 1.5 GBs. However, now it's showing just 1 GB. I tried switching the old RAMs around and one time it showed up as just 512. What I have concluded is that one of the slots for the RAM is messed up. Is there a way to fix this? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you can get the computer to recognize 2GB of RAM then restart with the Hardware Test CD in the drive and let it run it's course. Hopefully, this will tell you what's going on.

Reaction score
I had one of the ram banks go dead after a few weeks of owning my powerbook. It requires a whole new logic board to fix, so if you have apple care you could send it in to get repaired.

Oleg

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replies, it seems like the RAM slot is not working. Though, it was working for a little last night, so I don't know what happened to change it.

Is there a way to check the status of Apple Care? I got the complimentary Apple Care when I bought my powerbook about a year ago, so I need to act fast because I'm sure it's expiring soon.

Also, I didn't buy the RAM through Apple, does that affect my warranty with them? Will they claim that I voided the warranty by using Kingston RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
TomyDingo said:
thanks for the replies, it seems like the RAM slot is not working. Though, it was working for a little last night, so I don't know what happened to change it.

Is there a way to check the status of Apple Care? I got the complimentary Apple Care when I bought my powerbook about a year ago, so I need to act fast because I'm sure it's expiring soon.

Also, I didn't buy the RAM through Apple, does that affect my warranty with them? Will they claim that I voided the warranty by using Kingston RAM?

check their site; it might. but they don't have to know anything about that if you don't tell them. simply say you tried to upgrade the ram a few times but it would never take.. so you returned the ram. they'll use their own sticks to troubleshoot it. keep yours at home.

Reaction score
apple shouldnt give you any BS about the ram.. they themselves put in 3rd party ram. its either samsung or crucial..
they might have changed it but i doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
somewhere someplace on the apple site you can put in your serial number and see exactly how many days you have left on applecare

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.