• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

macbook ripoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
the black mac book is 200 dollars more and the only diffrence is a super drive thats really not worth 200 dollars to anyone else agree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yeah, I can't figure it out either. It comes with a bigger HDD as default, but the upgrade for the white one is only $50 extra, so where does the other $150 go?

Reaction score
baggss said:
Yeah, I can't figure it out either. It comes with a bigger HDD as default, but the upgrade for the white one is only $50 extra, so where does the other $150 go?

Looks like $5.00 goes towards some paint--and the rest in Steve's wallet. :miner:

Reaction score
It's mainly just marketing, Apple know that a lot of people will just pay the extra to get the black I guess. The only other thing I can think off is if the material used for the black MacBooks is also more expensive (certainly not $150 more though). I mean the black MacBooks are a matt finish aren't they, are they actually a completely different material too? I don't know as I have yet to see one.

I dont think it's that bad for apple to charge a little bit extra to get the black but $150 is pushing it way too far. Maybe it will change when the next lot of MacBook revisions come out.

T

Teck_72

I was going to ask something about that.. didn't seem to make sense but if I had the money I'd still probably get one ;)

K

Kokopelli

Well I guess I am a sucker but I am going to go for a black MacBook in about 6 months. Unless of course my will breaks down earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
i think it is really retarded for apple to charge 200 dollars more for a black case and a 20gb HD upgrade. You can get a white one and upgrade the drive for 50 bucks. spend the extra 150 on ram. have a much better machine for the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i think everyone is going to end up buying it after they are done complaining about it because they complained about the white for so long. they come out with what people want and of course they are going to begin to charge some sort of premium price for it.

i am going to buy it eventually. am i happy that it is more money because it is a different color? no. do i really care in the long run? no.

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
Am I the only person who prefers my ibook in white??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
MacMania55 said:
i think it is really retarded for apple to charge 200 dollars more for a black case and a 20gb HD upgrade. You can get a white one and upgrade the drive for 50 bucks. spend the extra 150 on ram. have a much better machine for the same price.

...or spend $145 on RAM, and $5 on a can of black spray paint, masking tape, and sandpaper. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
hahahaha i read this on a web site "the black cost $200 more because it takes more oil to make" -Condaliza Rice

R

Robin

And apparently the black one is a little bit prone to this:

Click to see

Ouch. I was getting white anyway, but after seeing this I'm really glad I'm not getting black.

N

ncooper15

I don't know but for my money I will save it, and put more memory on it then worry about a paint job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
It probably cots more because more people will buy the black one if it was the same price, meaning the white one will get little sales, they probably got round this by making the black ones price higher so people would think "oh what it's more exspensive I think I'll go for the white one instead then" that way the sales for the white and black ones would be around the same sort of balance if you get me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
If you think about it, the Macbook replaces three previous models, so they introduced three new versions of it. The black Macbook looks to be the designated 12" Powerbook replacement, and the two white versions are replacing the previous iBooks. The price points are nearly identical, but with more upgrades for your money. My theory is Apple wanted to distinguish a "High End" black model, so they added a little larger hard drive and some paint. Do I think its worth an extra $200 for these options? Heck no. It would have been a little easier to swallow if they were to increase the ram on the Black Macbook to 1GB. Even at this price, the black kicks a** and would be my choice when and if I purchase a Macbook. The only thing I didn't like about my iBook was the white color.

L

lil

I have decided.

First—I am not getting one. But I have said this all along since what I have now is absolutely fine and perfect for what I need. After all my PB G4 12" is not even a year old and I love it too much to ever sell it.

Second—Hypothetically if I got one, a distinct possibility for work, I would go for the 1.83GHz model as it for myself represents the best value for oney. With the left over ££s, I'd get a nice sleeve and a wodge of memory.

The black one apart from aesthetics is not worth the extra £130in my book.

Vicky

N

ncooper15

makwanad said:
It probably cots more because more people will buy the black one if it was the same price, meaning the white one will get little sales, they probably got round this by making the black ones price higher so people would think "oh what it's more exspensive I think I'll go for the white one instead then" that way the sales for the white and black ones would be around the same sort of balance if you get me.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would they charge more because they want you to buy the cheaper one? Think about it, if any thing they are charging more to make you think you are getting something a lot better then you really are. Its called "its black, it different so therefore it must be better, I want it." They dress it up a little more to make you think you are getting something better then what you really are. simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
well i dont care what you all think because i just got mine

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It like the Weber Bar-B-Que pits. The black ones costs more than the red one. Don't know why, that is just the way it is. The best way to look at it, is if you want black the cost will not matter to you. If the cost does, then you will getting white.

I guess it appears the simple to me.

Reaction score
I have to say that i find the whole rip-off thread name a bit much. No one is forcing users to go for the more expensive option secondly they are not holding users over a barrel for the upgrade. What i mean by this is that there are no extras which only come with the black one forcing you to buy it over the other two...ala Firewire 800 on MackBook pro's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.