Fears and Questions - Upgrading from OS9 to OSX Panther

R

RamonMedina

Hello,

I Don't see my particular set of questions in the threads, so if anyone could answer my particular set of questions I would be very grateful...

Here is my situation. I have a 400MHZ G4, 20GB Harddrive running OS9.2. While I want to upgrade to Panther i do not want to lose my OS9 software (Illustrator, misc Games, Office, Premier, Et al) So Here are my 3 questions...

1) Is "Classic Mac" actually OS9 or an emulator ala Virtual PC?

2) Will os 9.2 and Panther live happily on the same harddrive or should I install a second Harddrive for a dual boot environment?

3) If they can live happily together on the same drive will I have to clear the drive for a clean install then come back and re-install OS9 and my OS9 applications or will it leave all of my current stuff alone when I upgrade?

Thank you for any assistance

Ramon medina

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

It should leave all your current stuff alone, unless something is corrupted and it has to erase your hard disk.

In Mac OS X, all your classic apps will be in the same place, and when you click them, the "classic environment" will start. They will still be able to run normally. You can also boot in Mac OS 9 just by going into System Preferences.

OP
R

RamonMedina

Thanks. : )

Mr.Curlynose1 said:
It should leave all your current stuff alone, unless something is corrupted and it has to erase your hard disk.

In Mac OS X, all your classic apps will be in the same place, and when you click them, the "classic environment" will start. They will still be able to run normally. You can also boot in Mac OS 9 just by going into System Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.