Updating iPhone/iPad through iMazing

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I only became aware of iMazing's ability to update iOS versions on iPhone/iPad last week and when iOS 12 came out yesterday here in Australia I decided to give it a go.
In the past i have preferred to update iOS versions with iTunes as it always seemed a safer option to updating on the device itself and I'd be silly if I didn't to a backup first anyway right?
So as I've been backing up my iPhone 7 locally to iMazing for some time (I also backup automatically to iCloud) I decided to give it a go.
The process is amazingly easy.
You connect your device, scroll down to Update to ....., you can also choose an IPSW file at this time if you have one, in my case it said iOS 12 and click that. The app then performs a backup and archives it (just in case things go pear shaped) then iMazing downloads the upgrade from Apples servers, installs it and its done.
Just one last thing; iTunes will ask to verify the eligibility of the device just ignore the message cancel and quit iTunes.
You can backup to iTunes after the process is complete if you like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks Rod, another nice praise for iMazing that I have also used for some time and highly recommend it.

I wasn't really aware that it could do the current update version at the same time almost. Thanks.

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Another good thing is that you can upgrade multiple devices from the same iOS download thus avoiding repeating the process for each device.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Another good thing is that you can upgrade multiple devices from the same iOS download thus avoiding repeating the process for each device.

Yes, Rod. That's the winner.

How one updates a single iDevice probably doesn't matter that much, but the "multiple iDevices from one single download" is terrific.

Thank you.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Rod et al

I upgraded my iPad Pro 10.5 via iMazing and it went great and seemed to be a lot quicker than I normally expect via iTunes; but obviously can't prove this.

Then I upgraded my iPhone - no problems at all - but it re-downloaded the upgrade before installing. I was expecting from your earlier post (#3) and from others that one download covered all.

But then I realised my error; the iPad and iPhone upgrades, although both iOS 12, must be different in order to cope with the varying functions of each. Fair enough.....

This proved to be the case when I came to upgrade my wife's iPhone. Archive and straight to installation. THIS IS AN EDIT My first comment about re-downloading the iPhone's iOS again was an error and misunderstanding on my part.

So, this is my feedback, hopefully being of some assistance to others. It works fine, but iPad and iPhone iOS 12 are different downloads.

Ian

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys

I have a serious problem.

Having successfully upgraded all my iDevices to iOS 12 via iMazing, none of them is recognised by iTunes.

If I attach any one of these by USB, open iTunes....... Nothing.

Nothing in Sidebar, no icon at the top to open up sync window.

Any suggestions please?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi Guys

I have a serious problem.

Having successfully upgraded all my iDevices to iOS 12 via iMazing, none of them is recognised by iTunes.

If I attach any one of these by USB, open iTunes....... Nothing.

Nothing in Sidebar, no icon at the top to open up sync window.

Any suggestions please?

Ian
Have you restarted your iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
The same thing happened to me, then I got a notice on the iTunes screen that I needed to update, which I did, then I was able to get the side bar with my iPhone showing.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you restarted your iMac?

Hi Bob

Rebooted iMac. Ran OnyX. Rebooted again.

The only thing that I just remembered was that with 4th device, an iPad, I thought I would use iTunes to upgrade as a comparison time-wise.

The iPad was recognised okay and everything seemed fine, but when I tried to upgrade, I got a message "trying to connect with Apple Servers".

I got that every time I clicked the upgrade now button. So I gave up and used iMazing. No problem there.

Could it really be an Apple server issue?

Even if they were down, surely the iDevice would appear in iTunes? I get nothing.

And @firesidedog, I've had no messages from iTunes. When you said you updated.... updated what? iTunes or what?

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've also signed out and back in to my iTunes account.

No change.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
iTunes should be 12.8.0.150 as there was an update the day iOS was released, so that could be it, if you didn't update your iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
The update was on iTunes, but didn’t say anything specific. Which I found strange. I had never seen this before. It was a brand new iphone8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've also signed out and back in to my iTunes account.

No change.

Ian

Well, with using iMazing you should have the opportunity to go back to the previous iOS and make sure everything works OK, then maybe try the upgrade at some later point.

Maybe Apple's servers really are messed up???? And I'm sure they are really busy, well by some I guess. ;-)

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes should be 12.8.0.150 as there was an update the day iOS was released, so that could be it, if you didn't update your iTunes.

I'm on 12.8.0.150

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are using the official Apple USB cord, correct?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PROBLEM SOLVED

I contacted Apple (wonderful to have AppleCare Plus!!!).

They tried every trick in the book.

They proved that each iDevice was being recognised by going into System Report > USB > connected devices.

In the end: they got me to Open Safari and put in "Download iTunes", which takes you to the Apple iTunes Download page > Download.

This re-downloaded iTunes which detected that although I had the latest version, there was a corrupt script or somesuch and it overwrote that - at which point, my iPhone X which was attached, was suddenly recognised.

As far as I could tell, it may have put something on the iPhone X as well - not sure on that point.

At the end, all 4 iDevices were now recognised - without any additional software being put on these.

The advisor said that the fault was not iMazing (probably not he said), but that the last iTunes update was corrupted.

BTW, he confirmed, by taking control of my iPhone and my iPad Pro, that iOS 12 was correctly installed.

Bottom line: faulty download of latest iTunes - AND I wasn't the first to find this problem.

So anyone who meets this problem, re-download iTunes (as above). It overwrites the software but does not affect the content ie your songs.

Hope that helps someone, somewhere.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PROBLEM SOLVED
… … …
So anyone who meets this problem, re-download iTunes (as above). It overwrites the software but does not affect the content ie your songs.

Hope that helps someone, somewhere.

Good to hear, and basically the same suggestion at the apple.discussions forum URL I posted above.

I really wonder what sort of testing Apple does, if any, before releasing some of their corrupt upgrades lately. Pretty sloppy. :Grimmace:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear, and basically the same suggestion at the apple.discussions forum URL I posted above.

I really wonder what sort of testing Apple does, if any, before releasing some of their corrupt upgrades lately. Pretty sloppy. :Grimmace:

- Patrick
======
Why, it doesn't affect everyone? There is no way to compensate for every devices configuration, user habits and software.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the end of the day, I'm just grateful and relieved that it got solved. I don't apportion blame. Things happen. Solutions must be found.

Can you imagine life with 4 iDevices which worked perfectly, but which were held in a time warp where no new songs, playlists etc could be added. And the thought of restoring all 4 to iOS 11.4 and seeing if that worked. Well......

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.