iMac password protected by a friend

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2014,iMac 27" Retina Display,iPad Retina Display, iPhone 11
I lent my older iMac 27" to a friend and he put password protection on start-up. He moved and gave me back my iMac without telling me about it. I am trying to get a hold of him, but in the mean time is there some way to get into the computer. My original info should still be on the computer. When I start it up his name comes up with passwrod request. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If that's the firmware password, you cannot bypass it. You have to get the password from him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Is it the logon screen? On the left side of the box, is there a back arrow? If so, select it. It should bring you to the Users selection screen, where you can select which user will login.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just to be clear - does the request look like a simple (Admin) Log In password request?

If it's a Firmware PW, you're dead in the water till your friend comes up with goods - as Ashwin said.

But if it were an Admin Log in PW - well you can Google "How to Reset Log In/Admin Password". It's not a secret and, in fact, was openly discussed in a Thread a few days ago. But just in case I'm violating any rules, I'll leave you to do the research.

Ian

- - - Updated - - -

Beat me to it, Bob.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not really a "friend" leaving you holding the bag....

As Ian pointed out, if it is an admin password it can be reset. However, if it's a firmware password that has been entered, you will have to bring the iMac, your original receipt, and your ID to an Apple Store and they will remove the password for you.

If it's a Firmware PW, you're dead in the water till your friend comes up with goods - as Ashwin said.

Not exactly true. See my statement above.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Point taken, Charlie. I guess I was just stressing the obstacles to getting a Firmware PW reset versus an Admin PW. The OP's situation seems slightly complicated - friend may have made things difficult. You understand.

I wish the OP a happy outcome.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not really a "friend" leaving you holding the bag....

I was just thinking the same thing!!! At least they returned the Mac before they left, and I'm wondering what "password" protection is invoked??? Admin, user, firmware, file-vault…???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.