Spotlight finds Outlook

Reaction score
When I do a system wide search in Spotlight it will find Emails that contain the key word that I searched for. I only use Apple Mail on my Mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13. I do have the Microsoft Office / Outlook app on my machine but have not used Outlook for email in about 2 years. When I double click an email, that was found in Spotlight, the Outlook app opens and an error msg appears "Outlook cannot open the file because it is not associated with the default identity". Of course it's not. I never downloaded that email from my IMAP server in to Outlook because I've been using Mail. So how do I change Spotlight to find and open an Apple Mail email in a search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In Mail, open Preferences. On the General tab, what is selected for Default Email Reader? If Outlook is still selected as your default email reader, switch it to Mail.

OP
B
Reaction score
My Default email reader was set to Mail.app Something else is causing this issue. Thanks for your comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't have Outlook, but it could be the same thing is true, in Outlooks Preferences?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't have Outlook either, but another possible suggestion is:

System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results

On my Mac, I have "Mail and Messages". On yours, it might have "Outlook". If it is listed, uncheck it.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So how do I change Spotlight to find and open an Apple Mail email in a search?

When the selected file is shown in the Spotlight list, hold the command key and click it to show it in the Finder.
Then use Get Info and change the app you want it to use and then click the "Change all" box.

An even easier method is to use Find Any File (FAF) to find and various options to show or open:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.