Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've been warning users for some time to stay away from Trend Micro and its so called virus cleaning apps. Now it looks like they've sneaked into their unarchiver app to do the same thing. Hopefully Apple tosses them out of the App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
We've been warning users for some time to stay away from Trend Micro and its so called virus cleaning apps. Now it looks like they've sneaked into their unarchiver app to do the same thing. Hopefully Apple tosses them out of the App Store.
The link in the thread starter had been updated and Apple did remove the app...

It's not too far fetched to say, that with any free app, the same risk exists. Especially, when even paid app does the same, as posted in an earlier discussion. While Apple should do a better job at approving the app, the sheer volume of new apps makes it hard to detect all of the misbehaving apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-7567U) 8 GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
There are so many apps registering on daily basis that it is very difficult to apprehend apps like these efficiently. But in my opinion all the apps should be tested by their professional team before they allow it to appear on app store.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While Apple should do a better job at approving the app, the sheer volume of new apps makes it hard to detect all of the misbehaving apps.

Gheese, even a user using Little Snitch.app could have caught it, which BTW is one of the best anti-snooping and "AV" and anti-malware to have and use.

And no, I have no connection with the app or developer except as a user.

- Patrick
======

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used "Little Snitch" for awhile (back when it was free) and it nagged about everything. I suppose that's the price you have to pay to remain diligent about what gets out and what comes in. I haven't used the app in years so have no idea if it still nags and whether or not you can make exceptions.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't used the app in years so have no idea if it still nags and whether or not you can make exceptions.

Oh yes, it can really nag, but it also has an option to go on "silent mode". But I don't know of any other app that can let you know what your Mac might be up to or who's trying to get in.

Little Snitch 4 review: Mac app excels at monitoring and controlling network activity
https://www.macworld.com/article/32...itoring-and-controlling-network-activity.html

PS: I will admit that I don't know how to use all its features. But it sure stops intruders I don't want into my Macs, or some data leaving.

PPS: I only mentioned it here because if the App Store test folks had been using it, they would have seen the alert of the outgoing user's browser data.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.