Photo Software

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had my IMAC for 4 months now and love it. One thing that i do not like is the IPhoto software. It is always giving me issues. I was wondering can anyone recommend another photo viewing software?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Your simply viewing the images? What was wrong with iphoto? Sorry, just wondering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yeah, if all you want to do is view the photos, iPhoto should be fine. Otherwise you could just use Preview.
*shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
GraphicsConverter is good, lets you view, organize and edit photos all in one. I still prefer it over iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I never use iPhoto, If I really ever want to look at a photo i either use preview or system preference/desktop image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Graphics Converter LOOKS great, and is LOADED with functionality. BUT, even on my brand new dual core 2.3 GHz Power Mac, it is slower than cold molasses going up hill. As a result, too painful to use. Any hints on speeding it up? I can't believe that a native PPC application running on the latest PPC hardware could run so slowly. Even Photoshop CS2 (which I have as well) runs faster. Weird.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have a quad G5 and I don't have a problem with Graphic Converter, it is not slow at all. What are you doing when you use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a new dual core G5 (2.3 GHz). If you need four cores to run Graphics Converter at a decent rate, then it is not a very well done program! I am just opening the program and thumbnailing a folder of a few hundred images. Then try opening an image - takes forever. Too bad, a very nice looking program.

N

Netglutton

Preview is lightning fast, has an easy user interface and even half way decent for a quick print (sort of!). If you want preview to be your default photo viewer, right click on one of your photo files and go to get info. Then go to where it says "open with". Use the drop down to select Preview. Then click the "Change All" button and all your jpegs or whatever will open in preview by default.

2nd choice...Spend $1200 and get CS2 with Adobe Bridge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are absotely right. Preview is AMAZING. It is the best basic image viewer I have ever run into - it packs in a lot of extra functionality but retains blazing speed.

M

MJGUK

Preview is pretty great if you just want to view your images, I find.
Personally I don't have issues with iPhoto either :)

S

seinman

Is there anyway to go forward/back through a folder of images in Preview, as you can on Windows?

M

MJGUK

seinman said:
Is there anyway to go forward/back through a folder of images in Preview, as you can on Windows?
Yep.

Just select all the images you wish to go through in the Finder and then double click all of the selected images.
This will then open a side panel with all the images in preview, you can then browse through them at your leisure.

Hope that helps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.