Jaz drive??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good advice from Patrick - think about it. Anyway, since you're both in Canada (opposite sides of the country), take him up on his offer to copy the data off your disk on to a flash drive and mail it back to you.

Agree with Charlie.

Which leads me to question if the data would even work when and if recovered.

And here's a question I came across:
How to deal with old Avid Projects
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/899171

And I'm not really prepared to do a bunch of testing on old files and I'm sure I wouldn't spend any big bucks on any Avid stuff, new or old Mac.

Really wondering if any recovery would even be worth all the trouble???

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And I'm not really prepared to do a bunch of testing on old files and I'm sure I wouldn't spend any big bucks on any Avid stuff, new or old Mac.

Really wondering if any recovery would even be worth all the trouble???

That reminds me of a question that was asked on another forum from someone in the same boat. He was looking for a Mac Mini server that could run Snow Leopard because he still was using "Macromedia Freehand". Yikes... how long ago did Adobe quit doing anything with that app?

My point is that some folks are just stuck in the past and let technology move past them. Then all of a sudden they find themselves without any other options. I've got some old apps and games that I would love to run if possible but I'm not going to try to dig up some old bones just so I can do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got some old apps and games that I would love to run if possible but I'm not going to try to dig up some old bones just so I can do so.

I thought there are supposedly some "virtual Mac OS apps" that allow some old games and applications to run, or at least mimic them or something.

The only old game I'd like to be able to run was the 'pong' type game reclaimed from an old Apple OS System version and its Easter Egg - "Secret About Box". I'd love to find a way, but it was heavily "resource fork" driven so I doubt it would work. Or some old HyperCard stacks. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would love to be able to run my old Mac version of "Wolfenstein 3D". It ran great in Leopard and Snow Leopard but was never updated after the loss of "Rosetta". Lots of great PPC games that died out after Snow Leopard. I even considered at one time buying an iBook off eBay to run old apps but there are so many unscrupulous sellers on there nowadays that I worry about getting ripped off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Charles
I would love to be able to run my old Mac version of "Wolfenstein 3D". It ran great in Leopard and Snow Leopard but was never updated after the loss of "Rosetta".

Charlie, have you seen this??

DESCRIPTION OF WOLFENSTEIN 3D MAC
Here is the video game “Wolfenstein 3D”! Released in 1995 on Mac, it's still available and playable with some tinkering.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/wolfenstein-3d-3sg

I'm not sure what s"tinkering" is involved.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the problem is that it won't run on anything after Snow Leopard. I remember trying it with Lion and it crashed. When they say tinkering, they mean recompiling it. The same games from ID software like Doom and Doom II have all been modified and recompiled to run on the latest version of macOS.

What they (the tinkerers) have done is create a shell compiled for macOS and then run the games from within the shell. Unfortunately, Wolfenstein is not one of those games that can run within the shell. By the way, the latest shell is called "GZDoom" and it runs all versions of Doom, Quake, and others in full screen with mouse support. However, all is not lost because one of the Doom WADS (series of levels) have been designed to emulate Wolfenstein with some of the old realism. Better than nothing. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone, i'll check those links out and see what i can conjure up as a solution.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.