Mac Pro (3,1) keeps powering down

Reaction score
Hi, my fearless Mac Pro (3,1) running 10.6.8 has been working flawlessly, as per usual.

However, the other day it did just suddenly power off. Happened only once.

I tried to start it up tonight, and it powers down just after completing start up.

My second attempt I was able to start composing an email and mid way through (3 mins tops of the computer being on) shut down again.

My 3rd attempt shut down during start up.

I'm now resorting to writing this on my iPhone.

Any ideas on what the issue is? Heat sink?

Thank you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sounds like it could be a heat issue, have you tried Safe Mode? Hold shift while starting up?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi ferrarr, i just tried safe mode, and my computer has not shut down yet. I was able perform a "repair permisions" with disk utility as well as to reply on this thread.

I had trouble getting my mac mail to actually work though, and an error message that i've never ever seen before popped up saying something along the lines of my Mail Index has or is damaged, and in order to repair it, Mail must quit. I took a screen cap of it, but can't find it, so i can only assume that in safe mode, it wouldn't safe to my desktop like usual.

Anyways, point is, that in safe mode my Mac Pro has NOT shut down yet. So could that mean it is NOT a heat sink issue?

Thanks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Oddly enough, i opened it up, cleaned it, carefully sprayed with canned air, removed the 2 ram card slots, and removed all 8 sticks of ram individually and put them back in, put back together, and voila...my machine is working fine, so far (knock on wood).

Not sure what it could have been? But she's still alive and well!!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Good job getting it working again.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon. Just shut down today twice as I was starting it up. Argh... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Have you opened console and looked for the crash logs? If there is one and you can post it that would help us track down the issue. The fact it is stable in safe mode, to me, indicates an app problem.

Lisa

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Lisa, thanks for your input.

When in safe mode, how do i find these logs?

As a bit of extra info, yesterday I used tech tool 6.4 (I believe) and ran the ram test for 15 mins in safe mode. All ram checked out ok. Then I left the house and the computer was still on (in safe mode) several hours later. I then ran the 60 minute ram test, and it was all good too. I also did the graphics card test, and it was good.

Screen caps were taken, but can't find where they are put in safe mode, other wise I'd upload to share for you to see. Any idea where screen caps are saved in safe mode?

Lastly, so I agree with you, that it may not be the ram but something else, or as you suggested, an app issue. Would love to get to the bottom of this already!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To look for crash logs when in safe mode - go to Applications -> Utilities -> Console -> On the left hand side you will see all kinds of reports. I usually open up the /Library/Logs folder and the ~/Library/Logs folder then go to the CrashReporter folder or DiagnosticReports. You can also look in the System Reports folder. Anyway, look for the most recent date and time that has a .crash extension in the file name. Post any report that looks suspicious.

Oh, and screen capture is saved to the desktop. I tried it on my mac while in safe mode and that is where I found the pics.

Lisa

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey Lisa, so i just booted up in Safe Mode, and after my desktop screens were up like usual, i proceeded to open up my mac mail as well as firefox, and while they were both in the process of opening, my Mac Pro shut down. So that kinda blows the idea out of the water about it being an app, and not over heating....i guess?? It was the only time it ever shut down in safe mode.

I rebooted in safe mode again, and so far so good. Am typing this on my mac pro.

Attached below is a pdf of the one and only report (which was the same file) in both CrashReporter as well as DiagnosticReports.

It's 11 pages, but it's a very small file, only 41kb's.

Please let me know if this is the correct file that you were wanting me to upload.

Thank you.

View attachment Audio MIDI Setup_2018-08-21-215239_Richard-Lekos-Mac-Pro.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obviously that report is only dealing with audio midi issue. What peripherals do you have attached or added to the mac? I am just knowledgeable enough to know a midi deals with music composition.

Have you tried removing all external devices and any additional internal devices that are not necessary for the MP to run? For example I have a USB3 card in mine along with several additional drives attached. Try stripping it down to just the basics and see what happens.

Lisa

OP
L
Reaction score
the PDF that I upload was from:

Users/username/Library/Logs/ and then both crashReporter & DiagnosticReports.

What I also found, was other logs here:

Mac HD/ Library/Logs/ and both CrashReporter & DiagnosticReports.

I could not screen cap them in safe mode. It's like that function doesn't work. I had to take a pic with my iPhone and they are attached in this message (hopefully).

Kindly let me know If these mean anything.

Thank you.

K, so it won't let me upload pics from my phone. Here is links for each of the 4 pics:

https://ln.sync.com/dl/353a201f0/wz47c857-dfk3xsc3-ypw2ru9b-76fqe6rp

https://ln.sync.com/dl/b01533010/xa8vdffu-ne9j925p-qagmu2z7-mgwsdapx

https://ln.sync.com/dl/e9f78b130/6agymxbc-k9ir3qtn-e6w97ujf-jfacwxa9

https://ln.sync.com/dl/16494e120/ixeg7dir-k5hftue6-txwuzgi9-csn2tfyn

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to answer your other questions.

Yes, midi is for audio recording etc. I have Pro Tools Digi 002 rack attached as well as Eleven rack. They have been shut off the entire time this has happened. Haven't used pro tools in almost 6 months.

Are you suggesting that I still need to physically unplug the FireWire cable connecting the 002 rack that is shut off? Just curious.

Oh, and the audio midi setup "crash" happened before this whole episode of my macpro shutting down on its own. I was testing my audio mini jack with a few Mics, and it didn't seem to work. So opening up audio midi setup was opened to check things out. It crashed once.

I fully believe it's unrelated to what is going on currently with my Mac Pro shutting off on its own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the best way to diagnose issues with any PC, make it as it came from the factory. Including PCI cards, added ram, anything that was added after market, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob is correct. The best way to test is to strip out everything you can - unplug, remove etc. Then test it. Sometimes a wonky (technical term) external jack can be the whole issue or a flaky add on card. I have a feeling the frequent shutting down is not generating a log report.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since this is a basically 10 year old computer...and depending on how many total hours of runtime it's seen during those 10 years...the power supply could be getting weak & be the issue.

Something to consider.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have a feeling the frequent shutting down is not generating a log report.

Lisa

And how does one tell if the Mac has actually shut down or just gone to sleep??

And don't the Mac Pros have some sort of small diagnostic led lights that can indicate some problems???

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect you might have a flaky power supply as Nick has advised. Older Mac Pros are famous for going thru power supplies. Your PS might just be supplying enough power on the edge of normal and every once in awhile it falls below that and shuts down. Something to think about after you're through trying the other suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was surprised when I went to the link Lisa provided and saw the prices that are asked for a replacement PS. It used to be back in the good old days of PCs that you could tear into the PS and replace bad components like leaking capacitors or bad diodes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.