• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

With $15,000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Then again he may want to wait for the iBook and PowerMac replacements, before he makes his purchase.

Done!
I'll take one in white & one in black for the road & matching 15 & 17 inchers for around the house :)

D

doox00

the grandparents must have alot of apple stock or something.. or been saving apple giftcards for a really long *** time :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I'd spend it on a fully speced 15" MacBook Pro, 23" cinema display and a 60GB iPod. And then put the rest into a bank account for later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
You can put macminis into cars, the japanese have done it. Just imagine front row in your car?

Reaction score
or what about mounting the macbook (no pro) on your daskboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
what about converting an imac into a touchscreen and mounting it with the swivel stand integrated into the dash? maybe thats a little too big...

Reaction score
TBoblp said:
what about converting an imac into a touchscreen and mounting it with the swivel stand integrated into the dash? maybe thats a little too big...
if you could get a 15" g4 imac flat screen

Reaction score
id spend it on 231 shares in apple. just threw another grand into apple stock's yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iHeartSTI said:
id spend it on 231 shares in apple. just threw another grand into apple stock's yesterday.

I wouldn't. With Apple's stock being at all time highs, I don't think it's a good investment choice at the moment, at least not to put his entire $15,000 into it.

It's never good investment advice to chase after top performing stocks. By that point, all the money is already made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would buy a maxed out mini with a 23" cinema display or a maxed out 15/17" MBP and save the rest. Then when the intel powermacs come out, ide get a really good one and maybe another display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
photoshop
canon rebel XT
canon 28-135
Macbook pro 15 incher maxed out
black macbook
23 inch display
Canon XL HI

ok so maybe its over 15 grand....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I'd just recomend to the kid to get the same set up I have, I very much like it, and then he will have some change left over to buy a few smaller things from the apple store..

I have 2, 23 inch cinema displays, a powermac quad, and a powerbook 15inch (now he would get the macbook pro) and then final cut studio.. then with a little bit of talent he can turn the money his grandparents gave him by editing videos for people who need videos and while doing this.. saving up for a camera so he can shoot the videos too.. buying alot of things from apple if you have some talent in a field like video or print, then its like investing in yourself, and the harder you work the more money you will make, unlike just dumping it all into apple stock, there is nothing you can do to make the price of apple go up. while you can make your 15,000 more by investing in yourself buying things you can use to make more money, and then you can put that money into the stock market and still have some left over.. I am a strong advocate for not only investing in other companies but also investing in your own talents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Dude, you could buy:

* 2GHz Dual-core PowerPC G5
* 2GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
* Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
* 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* AppleCare Protection Plan for Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

And still have plenty left over for a down payment on a car, a few months rent, or God knows what else...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
to_tough_to_die said:
And still have plenty left over for a down payment on a car, a few months rent, or God knows what else...

Lord knows you need something to pay for gas from job to the next job for the next, oh, I don't know, 2 weeks or so :p haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
deus_ex_machina said:
Lord knows you need something to pay for gas from job to the next job for the next, oh, I don't know, 2 weeks or so :p haha

Actually, speaking of oil prices, I found out from my video-production teacher that laminating film has gone up from ~$200 to over $700.

Think about how much stuff needs to be laminated in a school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
to_tough_to_die said:
Actually, speaking of oil prices, I found out from my video-production teacher that laminating film has gone up from ~$200 to over $700.

Think about how much stuff needs to be laminated in a school.

I take it the price of plastics has gone up considerably with the help of this administration. I haven't been out of college that long - I had to laminate a majority of my projects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
EDIT-XTREEM said:
or what about mounting the macbook (no pro) on your daskboard?
With that glossy screen?

No thanks.. ;)

M

MJGUK

Strange.......All at Apple? Hmmm, Ok.

Well I guess I'd pickup a PowerMac G5 Quad, or wait until the Intel PowerMacs come out and buy a top of the range model.

I'd grab a 23" Cinema Display to go with that (30" is just stupid) and buy a load of accessories and so on.

Past that I'd be a bit stuck.....I already have a fully kitted out iMac, a MacBook Pro and 2 iPods......Maybe a few Minis wouldn't hurt?

But seriously, I can only echo the comments posted already and say that whilst that is a mighty nice thing to do.....It is a bit silly to make you spend it all at Apple and clearly you'd be better off putting the majority into a savings account, buying a car, putting it into stocks etc etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.