Moving Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS-X Yosemite iMac, 4GB memory, 2.4 GHz Intel Processor
I have a Mac Desktop running OS Mojave Beta build 18A365a. I also have a MacBook running High Sierra 10.13.6.
On the desktop Mac I have an app which is no longer available in the App Store. Is there any way to copy this from the desktop machine to the MacBook?
Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't see why not? What have you tried?

Of course, I am assuming, the app in question no longer appears on your Purchased page, in your App Store app?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any way to copy this from the desktop machine to the MacBook?

Sure...lots of ways. One very easy way is a USB flash drive (assuming the app isn't super large).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
Yes it is possible to copy or move your apps to another, but this may take a while depending on the size of your application. Also, you can try the feature of mac called Migration Assistant. This is a built in feature of mac that lets you transfer your documents, applications, and system settings from one Mac and puts them on another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It also depends on the app. Microsoft and Adobe apps don't move well at all. Nor do some others. Those that move best follow the "protocol" for macOS and contain all their files in the app folder itself, while those that don't move well are more like Windows apps that put files all over the place on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also, you can try the feature of mac called Migration Assistant. This is a built in feature of mac that lets you transfer your documents, applications, and system settings from one Mac and puts them on another.

Not really, at least not for just a single application, Migration Assistant.app isn't setup for doing that type of thing.

But most Macs still have File Sharing built-in that should work in addition to some of the other methods suggested.

- Patrick
======

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS-X Yosemite iMac, 4GB memory, 2.4 GHz Intel Processor
I have a Mac Desktop running OS Mojave Beta build 18A365a. I also have a MacBook running High Sierra 10.13.6.
On the desktop Mac I have an app which is no longer available in the App Store. Is there any way to copy this from the desktop machine to the MacBook?
Many thanks.

Thank you. Migration Assistant did the job. All is well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.