Safari

Reaction score
OK, since I think this site is read by programers from Apple, here is my one Christmas wish..
I wish they would put a switch in Safari to make it possible to turn of "History"
I probably go to at least 100 sites a day, for my business... I have all these sites bookmarked so I don't really
need them to be in history and I have to remove them all the time..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi sandman

It may not be an option for you, but Safari has a "Turn Off" facility if you use "Private Browsing". When you use Private Browsing, you can visit websites without creating a search history of any kind.

Safari > File > New Private Window.

Would that be practical for you?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Why would you “ have to ‘ remove history “ ... all the time ... “ ?
just let it sit there and expire.
My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi sandman

Just thought of another option, in a way prompted by McBie's comment.

In Safari > Preferences > General > Remove history items > choose "After one day". With that setting, history is never more than 24 hours old.

Another idea to consider?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why would you “ have to ‘ remove history “ ... all the time ... “ ?
just let it sit there and expire.
My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

+1.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Why even bother???

If it's not needed or used, just ignore it. Done.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Generally speaking. Usually two main reasons folks don't want there to be browsing history on a computer are:

- Visiting websites they don't want others to know they were visiting (you know what I mean)!;)
- Sensitive financial websites...that maybe someone doesn't want others to know about...or attempt to log into.

Otherwise general browsing history is usually pretty safe. And can be a big help if you want to revisit a website you visited a couple days ago that you may have forgotten how you got there.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Generally speaking. Usually two main reasons folks don't want there to be browsing history on a computer are:

- Visiting websites they don't want others to know they were visiting (you know what I mean)!;)
- Sensitive financial websites...that maybe someone doesn't want others to know about...or attempt to log into.

Otherwise general browsing history is usually pretty safe. And can be a big help if you want to revisit a website you visited a couple days ago that you may have forgotten how you got there.:)

- Nick

Well said Nick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Doubtful Apple Programers would come here.

Maybe Apple Discussions or direct to Apple would be best to get your suggestion across.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Generally speaking. Usually two main reasons folks don't want there to be browsing history on a computer … … …

- Nick

As to the first two, I guess I'd ask what and why is someone logged into and using my username account.

Otherwise I agree how useful the history can be.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.