27 inch iMac Mid 2011 video static

Reaction score
Sierra 10.12.6
When video is rendered in Final Cut Pro, called Transcoding, static is introduced. Some frames hang up then are gray and others show various abnormalities. Worth fixing? The card was replaced under warranty once.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
When you are in FC Pro does the raw video play smooth? Do any other known good videos fail to play smoothly? Also, when you say after the video is rendered, static is introduced, some frames hang and are grey, others have various abnormalities (? such as) can I assume this is now supposed to be finished video?

I guess I am curious as to why you have decided it is the video card. It could also be incorrect transcoding setting within FC Pro or even a failing drive unable to keep up. Lots of variables can create messed up video. - Unless all these problems were present before you replaced the card the last time?

This is a 2011 iMac so that means it is 7+ years old. There have been significant improvements made especially with video cards. Also with the advent of 4K and 5K video a newer, beefier video cards will be a must. If it were mine and I knew for sure the problems were being caused by the hardware and given it's age, I would be shopping for a newer iMac.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa,
Of course the hardware is hopelessly out of date. It was nice while it lasted. Now I devote more time to 16mm black and white film development and printing. Too bad I can't teach how as I was accustomed to do in videos. FCP automatically transcodes, either during import, hanging making gray blocky frames, or if unchecked and uncorrected, during export, adding same. Correct videos play smoothly. When the card went bad, none of the above had ever happened yet, it just didn't work at all anymore. Doesn't matter which hard drives are used. Same results. Could have been an update caused it, though I'm not sure when everything occurred or which would be responsible. I'll make 16mm films and carry them to festivals to project. Someone else can digitize it all. I blog on FB about my progress, only about filmmaking. michael.studiocarter. I used to make lots of videos about it on tube. studiocarter1. That's over. Unless I buy a pic and go back to hi8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My next guess would be how full is the main drive and how old is it? Also is it a mechanical drive or an ssd? If it is a mechanical hard drive and is the original drive it could be failing. And if it has less than 15% free space that can cause issues.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
The main drive is original, mechanical, and reserved for programs. Lots of room in there. External drives are used for video from one to another. Different drives were used including the Mac one to test any changes, no effect. I do not load video onto the main drive unless uploading to YouTube, then it is deleted.
Thanks for hanging in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since this is obviously not your first rodeo I am assuming the project settings are matching the settings the video was shot at. I am at a loss. It would be nice if you could try the project on another mac but that is probably not an option.

Sorry, I am out of ideas

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know if you figure it out. I am curious to see what the issue was and how you solved it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.