A1465 Mid 13 - Boots, but screen is black. I Can hear the startup sound.

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife bought this Mac new from the Apple Store in NY. Hasn't been used much, but booted about every three months, to take backup of her iPhone.
She recently decided to sell it, so i formatted the drive and reinstalled OSX and sold it. About a week later, the buyer returns it, as it won't boot anymore.

When i boot it, i can hear the startup sound.
If i force shut it, i can see that the display goes from black to "off", so something is happening.
Also the apple logo on the back is on, so the backlight is OK.
I am sure that the battery is OK.
Tried booting to safe mode, no difference.
Tried resetting SMC, no difference.
Tried booting to Recovery, screen is still black.
Tried clearing the NVRAM, i can see the screen flicker to white for about a quarter of a second right before the second startup sound. Then it is back to black.

Any ideas?

The MAC is of course too old to take it to Apple, and i am not willing to pay much to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can take it to the Apple Genius bar, and they will diagnose the issue for free. https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=arshw.

In my opinion, it sounds like the purchaser did something to it? Maybe dropped it if it is a laptop?

You can look at ifixit.com, https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac and find your specific model year, to see if taking it apart is something you want to attempt? They have great step by step repair guides.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
About a week later, the buyer returns it, as it won't boot anymore.

I don't know 100% of the story (maybe you don't either).

But how do you know that the new owner of the MacBook Pro didn't do something to it during the week it was in their possession? Are you 100% sure it's even the same computer?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
It is impossible to know if he did anything. I am sure it is the same computer.
It has no visible damages, but he might have dropped it.

What i also have found out now, is that i get the same problem if i connect it to a external display.
This tells me that it might be the display adapter that is causing this. I recon this is embedded in the MB, and if so then i can just go ahead and throw it in the trash..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
People still buy them "as is", on Craigslist, ebay or Amazon. Maybe even "Offerup" or other phone apps like that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is impossible to know if he did anything.

It has no visible damages, but he might have dropped it.

Exactly...new owner could possibily have spilled liquid on it too. This is why refunding the purchaser their money probably wasn't a good idea. Too many things can happen to a delicate piece of electronics like a laptop computer.

...and if so then i can just go ahead and throw it in the trash..

As member ferrarr mentioned. Try selling it for parts. better than throwing it the trash and getting nothing.

Sorry to hear about things. Good luck,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.