iTunes duplication from online purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
why does it do this?
if i download all of these duplicate songs will it delete them? since i already have them?
or is it just going to cause me to do it manually?
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 11.40.31 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
It shows them as still in iCloud, after I let iTunes convert them to a higher or lower file type.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
if i select the check for available downloads its all of those files...
i disagree with that reply, no offense.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@disturbed13 Can you clarify your question? Are you asking whther iTunes will keep duplicates of the files thus causing you to delete the duplicates? There are some instances where something appears as a duplicate and sometimes not so we need to know exactly what the concern is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, that is my concern. i dont want every song to play twice if i play that album on my iPod or my mac. why is there such a communication problem with the servers/store and the program?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There can be numerous reasons for duplicate tracks in iTunes. Here's an example where iTunes Match and Apple Music seem to be a contributing factor. ​Kirk McElhearn has written extensively about iTunes for MacWorld I bet you can find somethning useful there. Post back and let us know a bit more about your situation and when you are seeing the problem. I bet we can find a solution.

BTW If you look at your iTunes library in Album view do any of the duplicate albums/tracks have a cloud and downward facing arrow on them? If so this is an inddication that the material exists in both the clould and on your hard drive. They're not actually taking up double the space.

Edit: I had a massive problem with duplicate tracks and it was quite a pain to deal with. I'll see if I can find the article Kirk wrote that helped me deal with it.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi disturbed13,

It may simply be shown as such because you have iTunes Music Library checked in iTunes > Preferences.

My understanding, subject to correction, is that iTunes Music Library stores all your music in the iCloud by matching their library with yours thus saving a lot of upload time. But where it is impossible to find a perfect match in their library, they upload your version of a song which then has the iCloud icon adjacent to it. In that sense, it's not a true duplicate.

Incidentally, you can hide these iCloud icons by opening iTunes > View > "Only Downloaded Music", as in this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 22.48.34.png

It's quite interesting to toggle between "all Music" and "Only Downloaded Music" to see the difference.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 5.35.02 PM.jpg
so i changed that setting in the view music, but it still shows available downloads. as if a server doesnt know that i have already downloaded the music that i have pre-ordered/purchased from iTunes. this has been a revolving door with me for months now, after a while other albums dont have that problem. almost as if a setting is scheduled to take 72+ hrs to update or something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Are you using Apple Music, or are these just individual songs/albums you've purchased? Also, what OS and iTunes versions are you running?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes: 12.8.0.150

im not using apple music (as far as i know) i just buy the albums from the iTunes store and then get this weird issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
why does it do this?

OK, I know almost diddly squat about iTunes and even less about its use of iCloud, but assuming you bought that album, why are only some of the album songs shown duplicated and presumably with a copy in the "cloud"?

Or is that part of your question???

Are all 12 songs from that album in your iTunes Music folder??

Sorry if I'm just confusing things and not helping.

BTW: Would some of the info from here help??:
About iCloud Music Library icons and status
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203564

- Patrick
======

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is a far better way of wording my question then how i phrased it, and yes all 12 songs are in the iTunes music folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is a far better way of wording my question then how i phrased it, and yes all 12 songs are in the iTunes music folder

Then I guess if it were me I'd be inclined to turn off that iCloud viewing option if that's possible and just make it up as some strange iTunes or Apple server confusion and just carry on.

Plus making sure I had a current up to date working backup of course.

But as I said, I know almost diddly squat about how Apple and its iTunes music works.

Hopefully some more knowledgable member will provide some better help and or suggestions.

- Patrick
======

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nevermind, it seemed to have cleared itself up
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 9.53.23 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nevermind, it seemed to have cleared itself up

OK I guess. Maybe just a quirk or something.

But I must admit that I really can't stand that type of music and it sure wouldn't be tolerated in our house, but I guess you enjoy it.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Then I guess if it were me I'd be inclined to turn off that iCloud viewing option if that's possible and just make it up as some strange iTunes or Apple server confusion and just carry on.

- Patrick
======

Yes Patrick. That's exactly what I was suggesting in my post. Hide it. Your very useful Link also demonstrated another way of achieving the same end: Right Click on the top bar, but in this case uncheck iCloud Stays and iCloud Download. (But View > Only Show Downloaded Music should achieve a similar result.)

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I guess. Maybe just a quirk or something.

But I must admit that I really can't stand that type of music and it sure wouldn't be tolerated in our house, but I guess you enjoy it.

- Patrick
======

it really sucks to see that there is still a form of discrimination floating around in this society i have pasted the lyrics to one of the songs from that album for your reference, if you get an inkling of curiosity... please go listen to the preview of that one song from that album. i would be really interested to see if you still feel the same after only 30 seconds of a sample...

Uncomfortable
Vicious
Halestorm

I did it 'cause I wanna and I did it 'cause I'm gonna
and I did it just because I can
I did it 'cause it makes me feel so good,
and I did it because **** "the man"
I did it 'cause I'm crazy and no ones gonna save me
and I did it just to cut the noise
I did it 'cause I'm drunk and I did it yea so what
'cause baby I'm just one of the boys
I did it all to break
every single preconceived notion that you have
I did it all to shake
every single one of your emotions and just to make you
Uncomfortable
I love to make you
Uncomfortable
I love to make you
I do it 'cause I love it and I want some more of it
And I do it 'cause you said I can't
I do it 'cause you fight it and I know don't like it
when open up and talk about sex
I do…

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, disturbed13,

I took up the challenge. I went into iTunes and - yes - even paid the 99pence (UK) to download the track "Uncomfortable". And I listened to it through to the end. And that's how I felt - uncomfortable.

But the point is, if you don't try something, you don't learn or explore new ideas. I'm with you on that all the way.

It may be my age or it may be my upbringing, or it may be my genes; but it's not my thing. No disrespect to Vicious or you. Just not for me. But I did give it ago. (I have to say the 90 second snapshots of the other tracks didn't change my mind).

I doubt my tastes are the same as yours. "Vive la difference". No bias, no bigotry, just different:)

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@disturbed13

Sorry to read you took my comments that way disturbed13, and I'd say it's just a bit much to call it "discrimination" when all I said was "I really can't stand that type of music" which was nothing more than my personal opinion about that type of music.

And BTW, it won't help adding any lyrics and besides I hardly ever pay any attention to them and that type of "music" is just a bunch of noise to my old ancient ears.

But I'm glad you enjoy it and also support the performers and also glad your problem got sorted out.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.