Can't find Startup Disc or OS? Please Help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
This weekend, I came across some issues w/ my computer. I've searched numerous forums, and have visited the support forums on apples website with no luck. I hope someone might have a solution for me on here. I think this is a startup/os X issue...

I'm running The latest version of Tiger on a G5 2.3MHz Dual-core.

The Problem: When I start my computer, the startup disc (which is a 3rd party seagate drive) where my OS X is installed, it won't load up....I get the gray screen and that little circle animation/icon just turns and turns and nothing happens. But I had originally put OS X on my other HD also (the one that came w/ my computer - I use it for storage of my projects, music, images etc.), so I WAS able to hold the option key down during restart to startup on THAT one...I do not think it is the Seagate HD because I did a hardware test, and repaired permissions, and it's fine. I can access, view, & save to the folders on that HD - it does mount. I just can't seem to get the OS to run...or find it as the start up. I've tried all the suggested fixes off apples website - like resetting the pram, startup w/ shift held down...ran disc utility...nothing worked.

Is there a way to avoid having to reinstall Tiger? I did run the install disc...and I thought I had 3 options (such as a repair) but all it did was try to install the program like it was from scratch...I think my problem may lie w/ photoshop and or itunes - because I had problems right before I stopped being able to get into my Startup disc (seagate)....like I can't Save for Web..in photoshop. I think there may be a file missing in one of the folders, but I'm not sure how, I don't go moving around files - and I didn't alias or move anything either..SO i may delete photoshop and reinstall it or something...It's such a pain to backup all mysettings (like entourage) and so on...but if I have to of course I will. I've already backed everything up.

Is a reinstall of OSX what's in order here? Should I get Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior? I read that either of these would be good to have regardless...which is better?

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated!

Valerie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try booting holding down SHIFT. Also try removing all external devices before booting. Sounds like launchd is not completing it's tasks.

If you decide to reload the OS, choose the option to Archive and Install. This will preserve your user account and settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
How is it connected? Firewire or USB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
DesignVHL said:
This weekend, I came across some issues w/ my computer. I've searched numerous forums, and have visited the support forums on apples website with no luck. I hope someone might have a solution for me on here. I think this is a startup/os X issue...

I'm running The latest version of Tiger on a G5 2.3MHz Dual-core.

The Problem: When I start my computer, the startup disc (which is a 3rd party seagate drive) where my OS X is installed, it won't load up....I get the gray screen and that little circle animation/icon just turns and turns and nothing happens. But I had originally put OS X on my other HD also (the one that came w/ my computer - I use it for storage of my projects, music, images etc.), so I WAS able to hold the option key down during restart to startup on THAT one...I do not think it is the Seagate HD because I did a hardware test, and repaired permissions, and it's fine. I can access, view, & save to the folders on that HD - it does mount. I just can't seem to get the OS to run...or find it as the start up. I've tried all the suggested fixes off apples website - like resetting the pram, startup w/ shift held down...ran disc utility...nothing worked.

Is there a way to avoid having to reinstall Tiger? I did run the install disc...and I thought I had 3 options (such as a repair) but all it did was try to install the program like it was from scratch...I think my problem may lie w/ photoshop and or itunes - because I had problems right before I stopped being able to get into my Startup disc (seagate)....like I can't Save for Web..in photoshop. I think there may be a file missing in one of the folders, but I'm not sure how, I don't go moving around files - and I didn't alias or move anything either..SO i may delete photoshop and reinstall it or something...It's such a pain to backup all mysettings (like entourage) and so on...but if I have to of course I will. I've already backed everything up.

Is a reinstall of OSX what's in order here? Should I get Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior? I read that either of these would be good to have regardless...which is better?

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated!

Valerie

I have TT Pro and its been good to me - no failures so I haven't had any concrete tests of its limits - try MacWorks suggestion and see. Also archive and install.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
both my Hard Drives are internal...i was told to try diskWarrior....still haven't tried to do this yet...there's a workflow process I am going to try that was suggested to me over on the apple forums.

Holding down the SHIFT key did nothing....we do think it's an OS X issue however, and nothing to do w/ the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.