Does any place update the Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I had a bit of a scare with my Mac Mini. All of a sudden I seemed to lose almost all of the free space on my boot ssd and that forced me to ask myself what I would do if I ran out of space. The problem turned out to be solvable (thanks to people on this forum) and I am no longer really concerned, but it did make me wonder if any companies actually upgrade the Mini. AppleCare says Apple can not (probably will not) upgrade my Mini as it is not user-maintainable.

There are lots of places that fix or upgrade iPhones and iPads, but I have not seen anyplace that does the same with Mac Minis. I only have 256GB of space on my ssd, and I think that is probably enough, but if I wanted to upgrade to a 512GB ssd is there anyplace that could do that? My Mini is late 2014 so it has some of Apple's anti-tampering built-in and I would not want to try to do this myself and all of the YouTube videos I have seen about this refer to earlier models without the anti-tampering stuff built in.

As I mentioned, I have no immediate need to do this but I would also not want to buy another Mini since it has not been upgraded for years. Is there anyplace that does this kind of thing? Just curious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
AppleCare says Apple can not (probably will not) upgrade my Mini as it is not user-maintainable.

Not really sure how "not user-maintainable" & Apple doing repairs are related. The fact that a computer might "not be user-maintainable" is exactly why Apple is there...to help with a computer that an end-user may not be able to work on. I really don't agree with what was mentioned about Applecare. Applecare is a warranty. The Applecare warranty on a 2014 Mac-Mini has very possibly expired...thus an upgrade like this would not be covered by Applecare. This would be an upgrade that would need to be paid for by the end user. And since a 2014 Mac-Mini is not super old...I don't see why a local Apple store wouldn't do the upgrade (for a price).:)

There are lots of places that fix or upgrade iPhones and iPads, but I have not seen anyplace that does the same with Mac Minis.

Phones & tablets are different than computer repair/upgrade services. With mobile devices like phones & tablets...almost anyone can setup a kiosk in the local mall and start doing busines. Not really the same with computer repair/upgrades...simply need more space & tools. And many times the repairs this kiosks do are related to broken glass, battery replacement, and sometimes iOS related stuff. Not really much else you can do with them.

I only have 256GB of space on my ssd, and I think that is probably enough, but if I wanted to upgrade to a 512GB ssd is there anyplace that could do that? My Mini is late 2014 so it has some of Apple's anti-tampering built-in and I would not want to try to do this myself and all of the YouTube videos I have seen about this refer to earlier models without the anti-tampering stuff built in.

What sort of anti-tampering are you referring to? At this point your Mac-Mini is up to 4 years old...even if there were anti-tampering stuff in place...any Applecare warranty has expired.

Here's the ifixit.com procedure on upgrading the storage in a 2014 Mac-Mini. While it may not be super easy...it's not really super hard either...they classify it as a "moderate" project.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

But if you really needed to have this done professionally...here are some options:

- A place like Best Buy might do it.
- There are various electronics chains around the country like Micro Center, Fry's, etc.
- You may have a computer repair place locally that may specialize in Mac's.
- Other non-Mac computer repair places locally.
- If you do some searching...there are probably places you could ship your Mini to them for the upgrade.

But...I think after all of these places tell you how much the upgrade is going to cost...you may "revisit" the ifixit.com procedure...and give it a shot yourself.;)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really sure how "not user-maintainable" & Apple doing repairs are related. The fact that a computer might "not be user-maintainable" is exactly why Apple is there...to help with a computer that an end-user may not be able to work on. I really don't agree with what was mentioned about Applecare. Applecare is a warranty. The Applecare warranty on a 2014 Mac-Mini has very possibly expired...thus an upgrade like this would not be covered by Applecare. This would be an upgrade that would need to be paid for by the end user. And since a 2014 Mac-Mini is not super old...I don't see why a local Apple store wouldn't do the upgrade (for a price).:)
In this case the AppleCare warranty is still in place and will be for another 3-4 months, but that is not the over-riding concern. Apple told me that the local Apple Store would not upgrade the Mini, regardless of who was paying. They just will not do it, and the reason I was given was that it was not designed to be user maintainable. I agree with your comment that just because a user can not upgrade the machine should not mean that Apple can not or will not upgrade it, but that was the response from AppleCare when I asked them.

Phones & tablets are different than computer repair/upgrade services. With mobile devices like phones & tablets...almost anyone can setup a kiosk in the local mall and start doing busines. Not really the same with computer repair/upgrades...simply need more space & tools. And many times the repairs this kiosks do are related to broken glass, battery replacement, and sometimes iOS related stuff. Not really much else you can do with them.

What sort of anti-tampering are you referring to? At this point your Mac-Mini is up to 4 years old...even if there were anti-tampering stuff in place...any Applecare warranty has expired.
The online research that I did commented on the special screws that were used to prevent unauthorized people from being able to disassemble the Mini and the fact that upgrading the drive required removing everything else in the device. The complexity of the procedure was mentioned as a preventative along with the special tools needed to do the work.

From what I read the earlier Minis could be disassembled relatively easily but that change in 2014 and so, presumably, my Mini is one of those that can no longer be easily maintained.

As I mentioned the AppleCare Warranty on my Mini has not expired, but that is not really my concern as it will be soon enough. The computer is working just fine, and I have no plans to actually upgrade it now, but was wondering about perhaps doing so if I do not buy a new one in a couple of years. I could use more ssd space and they have now gotten so reasonably priced that I would not mind adding the extra space.

Here's the ifixit.com procedure on upgrading the storage in a 2014 Mac-Mini. While it may not be super easy...it's not really super hard either...they classify it as a "moderate" project.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

But if you really needed to have this done professionally...here are some options:

- A place like Best Buy might do it.
- There are various electronics chains around the country like Micro Center, Fry's, etc.
- You may have a computer repair place locally that may specialize in Mac's.
- Other non-Mac computer repair places locally.
- If you do some searching...there are probably places you could ship your Mini to them for the upgrade.

But...I think after all of these places tell you how much the upgrade is going to cost...you may "revisit" the ifixit.com procedure...and give it a shot yourself.;)

HTH,

- Nick
Actually I was thinking that there might be some stores that specialize in upgrading Apple stuff. I realize that phones are different from computers, but there are so many phone repair places that I thought there might also be Mac repair places.

I suppose I could ask my local BestBuy if they can do it, as well as Frys, but was looking for a specialized shop that did this sort of thing all the time. As I mentioned, this is more future planning than any need to take care of it now, and perhaps Apple will come out with another desktop that would give me the speed and memory that I would like, and then none of this would need to be done. A lot of this is curiosity as it seems there ought to be places that specialize in this sort of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Did you look at iFixit? The procedure is not that difficult, and the tools you need you can get from iFixit for not terrible pricing. As Nick said, it's rated as "Moderate."

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you look at iFixit? The procedure is not that difficult, and the tools you need you can get from iFixit for not terrible pricing. As Nick said, it's rated as "Moderate."
Yes, I did look, and no, the tools are not expensive. However as I said in my posts, this is not an immediate need. I have retrieved the missing space on my ssd and would not do this anyway until after my AppleCare warranty expired.

That said, I have little trouble taking things apart, but I have much more trouble putting them back together in such a way that they still work and don't have "extra" parts left over after reassembly.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That said, I have little trouble taking things apart, but I have much more trouble putting them back together in such a way that they still work and don't have "extra" parts left over after reassembly.
I feel your pain Mike. Been there many times myself. I'm promising myself that the next time I take something apart I'll do two things which should help:
1. Take photos of each step in the teardown. These have to be just good enough to document how to reverse the process. In this case the iFixit guide should be sufficent. Either print it or save it ahed of time as a pdf loaded on your phone/tablet.
2. Lots of small freezer bags / parts bags to hold screws etc. If need be a marker to write on the bags with either the step number that they belong to or description of where they came from.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this case the AppleCare warranty is still in place and will be for another 3-4 months...

Yeah...I kinda forgot that the 2014 Mac-Mini is the latest model Mac-Mini...and Apple is still selling it today (even though it was released way back in 2014). If someone was to buy one today & got the extended Applecare...they would still have 3 years of warranty remaining.:)

I still don't understand Apple's comment that no Apple Store would upgrade it. For one of the Apple "Geniuses"...upgrading the storage in a 2014 Mac-Mini would be a walk in the park. Easier than many MacBook & MacBook Pro repairs!

The online research that I did commented on the special screws that were used to prevent unauthorized people from being able to disassemble the Mini...

If they are special screws...any Harbor Freight store sells 30 or 40 piece (or more) mini-screwdrivers sets for like $5.99.:)

From what I read the earlier Minis could be disassembled relatively easily but that change in 2014 and so, presumably, my Mini is one of those that can no longer be easily maintained.

See the ifixit.com procedure...it's really not all that hard.:)

Actually I was thinking that there might be some stores that specialize in upgrading Apple stuff.

There are...but they have ALWAYS been few & far between. Ever since 1984 when the first Macintosh computer hit the market...Mac specialty repair shops are like "4-leaf clovers" in terms of rarity.;)

I realize that phones are different from computers, but there are so many phone repair places that I thought there might also be Mac repair places.

Can't really compare computers & phones. In terms of repairing them & ease of repairing them...they are different animals. Many/most of the folks running one of those phone repair places would very likely have no idea what to do with a Mac-Mini. They'd end up going to a site like ifixit.com (just like we're suggesting to you)...to figure out how to do it. As will many Windows computer repair shops you might take your Mini to for an upgrade.

I suppose I could ask my local BestBuy if they can do it, as well as Frys, but was looking for a specialized shop that did this sort of thing all the time.

Best Buy kinda-sorta does do this all time...they sell Apple products at Best Buy...and Best Buy has their own version of Applecare...that they sell for customers that purchase Apple products. Best Buy probably isn't as good as the Apple Store...but I can almost guarantee...unless you can find a private repair shop that works on Apple stuff...Best Buy Apple repair experience is #2 only to Apple.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Late 2014 Mac mini has two options for drives. It takes a laptop drive and a blade type drive.

I have one and took out the 1TB HDD and put in my 500GB SSD. It took me a little while, but it was definitely with the time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Late 2014 Mac mini has two options for drives. It takes a laptop drive and a blade type drive.

I have one and took out the 1TB HDD and put in my 500GB SSD. It took me a little while, but it was definitely with the time.

What is a "blade type drive"?

Did you run into any real problem in opening up and working on your Mini? What tools did you need? I would love to replace my 256GB ssd with a 512GB or 1TB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
As Nick posted above, they are called PCIe drives, the 2014 mini has a slot for one, and the regular drive location. If you look at ifixit.com, there is a D-I-Y question on there about adding one to the standard mini.

I didn't have any issue switching the drives, I just went slow and followed the guide on ifixit.com. I had the tools, with the exception of Mac mini logic board removal tool, https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Mac-Mini-Logic-Board-Removal-Tool/IF145-159-3.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Nick posted above, they are called PCIe drives, the 2014 mini has a slot for one, and the regular drive location. If you look at ifixit.com, there is a D-I-Y question on there about adding one to the standard mini.

I didn't have any issue switching the drives, I just went slow and followed the guide on ifixit.com. I had the tools, with the exception of Mac mini logic board removal tool, https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Mac-Mini-Logic-Board-Removal-Tool/IF145-159-3.
I might be tempted to try this, but probably not until I have a replacement machine already set up and working.

I have been taking things apart since I was perhaps 8 years old. I was very good at disassembling stuff, but not so good at putting it all back together, at least if I wanted it to still work when I was done, and I never could figure out why they put all of those extra parts in whatever it was. They must have been extra parts because they were left over after I finished putting everything back together. ;)

One of the things I should figure out is whether or not a CCC backup of my Mac Mini can be successfully restored to a MBP. Then I would have a backup machine ready to use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Bob did you use the logic board removal tool when you worked on your Mini? Looks like the procedure could be done without it...since the logic board appears to be on a tray...and the tray could probably be dislodged & slid out in at least a couple other ways.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Bob did you use the logic board removal tool when you worked on your Mini? Looks like the procedure could be done without it...since the logic board appears to be on a tray...and the tray could probably be dislodged & slid out in at least a couple other ways.:)

- Nick
Nick, yes I did use the tool, as I had tried to do the procedure without the tool, but I was unsuccessful in my attempts. I decided it was worth the money, as I may put the original drive back in when I go to sell it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure the tool makes it easier.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
check with http://macmedics.com/

they are a mac only repair consulting shop. Im guessing you could mail it to them if you're not in the area. ask them. they fixed my imac once when it had a bad video card. did a great job. they have been around for decades.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
check with http://macmedics.com/

they are a mac only repair consulting shop. Im guessing you could mail it to them if you're not in the area. ask them. they fixed my imac once when it had a bad video card. did a great job. they have been around for decades.
I sent them an email asking about updating the Mac, but they never responded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.