Mac mini blurry screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just an update. Thought I'd give the VGA route a go and bought a cheap thunderbolt to VGA cable and hey presto! image is super sharp now! so I'm all sorted. Thanks for all the advice. :) :) :)

Good to hear thanks T-K and it just goes to show that the often recommended connection method may not always be the best — a big understatement in your case.

But then again many HDMI cables seem to crap out for some strange reason which is I gather what you were using.

Maybe try another one at some time just to see and/or compare to what you have working now.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Some times those adapters go bad as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Some times those adapters go bad as well...

Quite true Bob.

I was quite surprised in the resolution differences for that 2011 Mac mini according to what they show at:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.3-mid-2011-specs.html#macspecs2

Video (Monitor): 2*
Details: *1 HDMI and 1 Thunderbolt port.

Supports dual simultaneous displays -- 1920x1200 on an HDMI display or a DVI display using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter and 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with adapter). Thunderbolt is backwards-compatible with Mini DisplayPort-equipped displays as well as adapters that are compatible with Mini DisplayPort (DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI). It also can support other peripherals that use the Thunderbolt standard, which provides a maximum theoretical 10 Gbps of bandwidth in both directions.

So I'm assuming that tiger-kai is now using and getting the higher and sharper resolution using the Thunderbolt (or Mini DisplayPort)-VGA adapter(s).

I guess I had my HDMI specs reversed, at least as far as resolution goes.

Anyway, glad to hear it's now all working properly for them.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I tried a few different hdmi cables and they all produced a bad image. I’m on a lower resolution now with the thunderbolt but the image is fine and it’s perfect for what I need now. I think it’s on 1366 x 768. With the hdmi cable I could go much higher. I think the problem is the signal.... it’s like using a scart or composite cable. Kind of like a crt tv.

I found this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-screen-blurry.1902129/

I was thinking perhaps this was the problem I had.
I blame the tv. It’s just a cheap one we bought a few years ago. We are living in this place temporary so this tv with the thunderbolt cable luckily will do the job for now :)
Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.