potential switcher - powerbook vs macbook pro?

OP
L

Left Face Down

The whole thing with the Rosetta emulation is the emulation of Mac software that is not Universal Binary. It's the software that was written for the Power PC processors that needs to be translated for the Intel Processors on the new Macs.

Anything that has worked on previous Macs will work on the Intel Macs, however things that are not Universal Binary will have to be run through Rosetta where it'll just translate the code for the Intel Processor which will cause the program to run slower than it should. This is exactly why in a year the Macbook Pro will be great, because by that time everything that is scripted for the Power PC Processors will have moved on to the Intel Processors. So everything will use the MBP to it's full advantage.

Also, iLife 06 and so forth 06 programs by Mac are made for the Intel processors. So they'll work to their full potential but other things will have to be "emulated" through rosetta until their is a universal binary version available.

OP
E

-e-

does that mean i'll have to get new software as it comes out? what kind of software isn't universal?
what do you reckon i should do?

OP
E

-e-

*bump*

i think i've decided on a macbook. probably not the black one, but the next best one. my dad can run it through his business so i'd get it a fair bit cheaper. given what i'd be using it for (word processing, audio and video editing, a bit of animation, macromedia and adobe programs, general internet usage, possibly a little bit of gaming), and not wanting to spend up bigtime, do you think this is a good choice?

OP
C

caveatipss

-e- said:
*bump*

i think i've decided on a macbook. probably not the black one, but the next best one. my dad can run it through his business so i'd get it a fair bit cheaper. given what i'd be using it for (word processing, audio and video editing, a bit of animation, macromedia and adobe programs, general internet usage, possibly a little bit of gaming), and not wanting to spend up bigtime, do you think this is a good choice?

You mean you're not going to pay almost $300 for the color black? lol good choice I would say

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Sounds like a good choice to me, the macbooks look like some really solid computers.

OP
E

-e-

well it's all settled, on monday i ordered a 2ghz white macbook with upgraded ram and hard drive storage. can't wait til it comes, i hope it likes me!

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
I used one at the store the other day, I loved it (my PowerBook was a little jealous probably). However, please do not forget parallels, no one has mentioned it yet I believe. Parallels makes virtualization software that allows you to run Windows in, well, a window. You can run other operating systems too. You can find it here It's nice because you don't have to do a reboot to run windows programs. If you have ever used VMware or VirtualPC before its the same idea, but its faster than those two programs because it uses the virtualization technology built into the intel processors that now live in your macbook.

OP
E

-e-

ezhangin said:
I used one at the store the other day, I loved it (my PowerBook was a little jealous probably). However, please do not forget parallels, no one has mentioned it yet I believe. Parallels makes virtualization software that allows you to run Windows in, well, a window. You can run other operating systems too. You can find it here It's nice because you don't have to do a reboot to run windows programs. If you have ever used VMware or VirtualPC before its the same idea, but its faster than those two programs because it uses the virtualization technology built into the intel processors that now live in your macbook.

ooh does that mean i can effectively run windows in osx? so run pc software straight from osc? what's the speed like, given that it's all emulated, do you know? thanks for pointing this out, it could be really handy!

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
-e- said:
ooh does that mean i can effectively run windows in sox? so run pc software straight from osc? what's the speed like, given that it's all emulated, do you know? thanks for pointing this out, it could be really handy!

What's nice is that its not emulated at all, an emulator is something like VirtualPC for a PowerPC mac which literally converts each CPU instruction from PowerPC to Intel (x86). This is pretty inefficient. Parallels (and VMware) let you use your existing hardware very efficiently. Apparently from what I have heard parallels is fast enough to do just about anything except heavy duty gaming (I would believe booting in Windows using bootcamp would be better for games because your computer resources would be used for windows only).

As for how it works in Mac OS its just literally a program you start. Once setup Windows (or I guess your operating system of choice) will open in a window on your desktop. You can even have more than one operating system open. I cannot confirm, however, if parallels has drag and drop support like the old school VirtualPC (drag a file from the Mac OS into the Windows window).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.