MenuMeters, Private Eye, any similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
Hello all,
I'm looking for a simple network traffic monitor per port, if wifi or ethernet or whatever vpn...
MenuMeters is what I was using, very simple Tx Rx traffic volume, Input - Output. I mainly want to see when I'm experiencing color circles or lagging response in apps or operations.

I use memory clean to flush memory and look at % full there and I'd like to see similar in net traffic.

Seems like the previous ones aren't supported, private eye, --> radio silence is more than I need.
MenuMeters doesn't work with High Serria, doesn't seem to be an upgrade?
iNet is more than I need and I'm not thinking of paying much if anything for it, it's too simple to pay much but there should be something to do this and I'm sure I just haven't run across it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, all.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Color circles (also what we usually call Beachballs) is an indication of high CPU usage and less of a network issue. You'll want to open up Activity Monitor and keep an eye on the Cpu and Memory tabs, sort by the highest value and see where you stand. If you find there are processes taking up high CPU %, that needs to be investigated first. On the Memory tab, if you find you are very low on free memory and your Wired memory is high, that's an indication that you are using very memory intensive applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I also see this issue with video (vram?) issues, especially on older machine.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'd agree with that Bob. Anything that taxes the CPU due to other bottlenecks would also manifest in a beachball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In my humble opinion, ActivityMonitor is all you need to investigate beach balls. That and a quick look at the OSX ( macOS ) logfiles.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
kd929
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
Thanks McBie, I'd love to put activity monitor in the top bar to be able to see the Tx Rx of network adaptor in real time. I agree with you. I've got it open in the dock and can pop it open so it'll do for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you are looking for what is loading down your mac then Activity monitor is the place to go. If you are needing to see what the traffic is coming and going fro your network connections then wireshark will do that BUT it is not for the novice.

I use wireshark at work to do a health check on my network traffic. It allows me to see if one or more computers are generating a lot of traffic and just where that traffic is going. It is very interesting, easy to get overwhelmed with data, and time consuming if you have an issue that needs tracking down.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.