Imac G3 won't boot

Reaction score
3 days ago my 1999 slot loading imac g3 350mhz 128mb of ram froze. after restarting it i got a screen with a floppy disk with a blinking question mark.
1.jpg
I tried to reinstall MacOs 9.2 but got the same thing after installing. I also tried MacOs 10.1.3, 10.4 but they wouldn't even boot the installer. Linux for ppc didn't work ether.

I tried switching hard drives and replaced the clock battery but that didn't work.

if anyone can help please say something.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This almost always means the computer can't find an OS installation to boot from. Swapping the HD was a good idea.

Are you reinstalling OS 9.2 from a CD? Does the computer recognise the CD...and does the OS install appear to go normally & finish to completion?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe the drive connector cable needs replacing?

OP
T
Reaction score
This almost always means the computer can't find an OS installation to boot from. Swapping the HD was a good idea.

Are you reinstalling OS 9.2 from a CD? Does the computer recognise the CD...and does the OS install appear to go normally & finish to completion?

- Nick

yes OS 9 was reinstalling from a CD and looked like it install perfectly except it wouldn't boot the installed OS after.

OP
T
Reaction score
the computer works fine booting from the os 9.2 installer but won't boot anything else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure given the age iMac G3's...we're all a little bit rusty with how to troubleshoot them. Once we get our collective thinking caps on...as long as there's not some sort of serious hardware failure involved...I think we should be able to get this old-warhorse working again.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure given the age iMac G3's...we're all a little bit rusty with how to troubleshoot them.

How true Nick!! ;D

I have a bit of a nagging thought that those Macs could do such a thing when their PRAM battery got too low. They use the pretty standard 1/2 AA 3.6V battery that most computer places sell and shouldn't cost much more than $10.00, if that.

PS: They can be changed through the access door normally used for replacing the RAM with the Mac face down on a towel etc., and with the help of a long screwdriver to loosen it, and one of those extension parts thumb operated grabber tools to grab it and lift it out and to lower the replacement battery into place, and force it into the clips with the screwdriver blade. Most $Stores stock them.
Do make note of battery polarity before removing the battery if you go that route.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
How true Nick!! ;D

I have a bit of a nagging thought that those Macs could do such a thing when their PRAM battery got too low. They use the pretty standard 1/2 AA 3.6V battery that most computer places sell and shouldn't cost much more than $10.00, if that.

PS: They can be changed through the access door normally used for replacing the RAM with the Mac face down on a towel etc., and with the help of a long screwdriver to loosen it, and one of those extension parts thumb operated grabber tools to grab it and lift it out and to lower the replacement battery into place, and force it into the clips with the screwdriver blade. Most $Stores stock them.
Do make note of battery polarity before removing the battery if you go that route.

- Patrick
======
i just replaced the pram battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
Try to reset your Mac's PRAM. All you need to do is to shut down your Mac, then power it up, and before the gray screen appears, quickly hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys, until hear the startup sound for a second time. If it does not work well then your next step is to reset your Mac's NVRAM. This steps sometimes work and there are no major risks of trying it out.

OP
T
Reaction score
I fixed it turned out the cd drive i was installing from was dead.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice work. That didn't even occur to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fixed it turned out the cd drive i was installing from was dead.

Hmmm…??? Strange considering what you said earlier:
the computer works fine booting from the os 9.2 installer but won't boot anything else

Oh well, at least you got things fixed.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hmmm…??? Strange considering what you said earlier:

Oh well, at least you got things fixed.

- Patrick
======
Exactly my thinking?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.