not able to save files with MS Office

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Mini
Hi,

I am running High Sierra on a 2014 Mac Mini. I recently did a carbon copy of my OEM HD to an SSD HD, all went smoothly, no issues there. I was running MS Office for MAC 2011 and have a bunch of saved Office files, mainly Word and Excel. After creating the carbon copy onto the new SSD, I had to re validate the copy of MS Office for MAC 2011. For a number of reasons, I could not do that and ended up buying MS Office for MAC 2016.
Now, I can open all my files I created with the 2011 version of MS Office for MAC, but I cannot save them. When I try to save a particular file using SAVE AS, it seems to go through the saving motion, but than this error message comes up: YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO SAVE FILES TO THIS LOCATION. Make sure that you have write access for this location, or select a different location.
I checked the permissions under Get Info when right clicking on the folder in question and under Sharing & Permissions it shows that Privilege is set to Read & Write
I am at a loss as to what I need to do.
I also checked under preferences in Excel etc but cannot see anything obvious to change file saving setting in there as well.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't have an answer for you but I'll definitely be watching the thread. I had a simiar issue earlier this year. Didn't have time to troubleshoot it then and haven't gotten back to it.

If you need access to the files try downloading and running LibreOffice. I was able to open the files and continue to work on them even though Word would not open them. LibreOffice will let you save the files in word format. Pages might also work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

What is the location to which you are trying to save the documents? Is it in your account area? Normally macOS will only let you write to your own home folder and subfolders as a security precaution and NOT to any other users home folder. You didn't say how you did the "carbon copy," but if you copied one account home folder to another home folder, macOS would block access to the moved folder because of ownership. And if the folder you cannot write to is actually a subfolder of a folder to which you do NOT have write access, the higher folder permissions will prevent writing to the subfolder. Basically, you have to have R&W to the entire chain of folders down to the target folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
At the bottom of the Info window, there is a gear icon, click that and select "Apply to enclosed items...". If that is not an option, change a setting in Sharing & Permissions, then "Apply to enclosed items". Then change the setting you changed, back to it's original setting, and "Apply to enclosed items".

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Mini
Welcome to the forum.

What is the location to which you are trying to save the documents? Is it in your account area? Normally macOS will only let you write to your own home folder and subfolders as a security precaution and NOT to any other users home folder. You didn't say how you did the "carbon copy," but if you copied one account home folder to another home folder, macOS would block access to the moved folder because of ownership. And if the folder you cannot write to is actually a subfolder of a folder to which you do NOT have write access, the higher folder permissions will prevent writing to the subfolder. Basically, you have to have R&W to the entire chain of folders down to the target folder.

I did change the R&W setting from the main folder all the way down to the last sub folder, still no good.
I used Carbon Copy Cloner.
By the way, I can actually save files in Word, just not in Excel....so that is weird!

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Mini
At the bottom of the Info window, there is a gear icon, click that and select "Apply to enclosed items...". If that is not an option, change a setting in Sharing & Permissions, then "Apply to enclosed items". Then change the setting you changed, back to it's original setting, and "Apply to enclosed items".
I tried that, still no good.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Mini
Don't have an answer for you but I'll definitely be watching the thread. I had a simiar issue earlier this year. Didn't have time to troubleshoot it then and haven't gotten back to it.

If you need access to the files try downloading and running LibreOffice. I was able to open the files and continue to work on them even though Word would not open them. LibreOffice will let you save the files in word format. Pages might also work.

I get access to all files, that is not the issue. I just cannot 'Save As' modified Excel files. I can in Word though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try saving them with LibreOffice. It can read and write Excel files because it has a spreadsheet modeule though I have not used that feature in quite some time.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2014 Mac Mini
I would try saving them with LibreOffice. It can read and write Excel files because it has a spreadsheet modeule though I have not used that feature in quite some time.

thanks, but I rather not have to use another program, I got way too many already :) It has to be something rather straight forward that I am not seeing, since it is only happening with Excel. I might go to an Excel forum as well and see if they can help me out as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, try reinstalling Office. Maybe something is wonky in the Excel save routine. Office spreads files all over the drive, and if one of them gets "strange" you get strange behavior.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, but I rather not have to use another program, I got way too many already :)
I feel your pain on that score. I too have way more junk than I need on my drive.

My suggestion wwas merely a means of getting to a oint where you could work with the files as quickly as possible until the source of this error is detected. After the issue has been resolved LibreOffice is easily removed. Since we're dealing with Excel files here Numbers may also work and it is probably already on your Mac. Make a backup of a few files and test them in Numbers.I believe it will save changes in Excel format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Create a new folder and start saving all your saved office files into the new folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then try to set up another user account on your Mac, System Preferences > User Accounts. Log into that account and see if the issue is in that account too. If the issue is not in the new account, then there is a setting somewhere that has been corrupted in your account and you may be able to copy it from the new account to fix your account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.