Upgrading RAM - MacBook Pro Mid-2012

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
I'm not sure what a switcher is (sorry for the extreme noobness), so I hope I posted this in the right spot.

Recently I've noticed that I'm maxing out my 4GB of RAM on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13". I'll only have one or two applications open at a time and I've had CleanMyMac 3 constantly checking and cleaning but it's still just not enough power.

I've contemplated just buying a newer MacBook but a friend told me that there's an additional memory slot that I could just plug in another 4GB.

2 questions:
- Is it really as easy as pulling the bottom case off, plugging in the second card, and starting the MacBook back up? Or do I have to pre/post install firmware or drivers?
- Which types are recommended? Do both need to match?

Thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You do not have a spare memory slot in your MacBook Pro. There are two memory slots and you have a 2GB module in each slot which equals 4GB. You would have to remove both modules and replace them with a larger module. Your MacBook Pro can accommodate up to 16GB of memory which means purchasing 2 x 8GB modules.

And yes, it's an easy DIY job and no, you do not need a firmware or driver update.

And... get rid of CleanMyMac 3. It does more damage than good.

You can buy your memory from Crucial (www.crucial.com) or from Mac Sales. (www.macsales.com) There are many on line videos which will take you step by step in updating the memory in your MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And... get rid of CleanMyMac 3. It does more damage than good.

I wonder just how much memory and resources that CleanMyMac 3.app actually consumes.

Maybe it's the cause for half the problem it's possibly reporting??? :Smirk:

And I would imagine there should be a plethora of good Mac memory dealers around the OP's SF Bay Area.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure what a switcher is (sorry for the extreme noobness), so I hope I posted this in the right spot.

"Switcher" is someone that used to be a non-Apple device user...and now is new to Apple stuff.:)

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to notebook area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And if you are running any antivirus software, you don't need that, either. There are no viruses for Macs in the wild, so that software is doing nothing for you. Basically, Macs are not PCs and do not need "extras" to make them run. About all you need are some basic tools to keep out what is called malware, stuff that does minor, but annoying, stuff. So, ghostery will work with your browser to stop tracking and some popup hijackers, malwarebytes will clean up anything that gets through ghostery and Onyx will do all the cleaning you need (but you only need to run it about once every six months or so. You can get them all from the original developers by searching on the three names.

OP
XSV

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will one of these two suffice? Will 16 show noticeably better performance over 8?

Maybe, but mainly depending on what you do and what software you generally use on that Mac.

One way to get some idea is to keep the Activity Monitor.app(Utilities folder) running and watch how it's using your available RAM/memory.

But generally except for just basic use, more is usually always better, so do the full upgrade now as doing it later will have cost a lot more. You'll have the smaller modules to maybe sell that few will want to buy, unless you'd be selling it really cheap.

- Patrick
======

OP
XSV

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
Mostly daily work tasks with Office and iMovie (which is considerably slower than it used to be).

I decided to go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5S52C/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Crucial seems to be a good brand. Thanks again everyone for the quick and thorough info.

Sidebar: CleanMyMac 3 is gone for good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sidebar: CleanMyMac 3 is gone for good!

Maybe not all bits and pieces but you can search for them using the name with Find Any File.app (FAF)
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

And I'd sure check with Crucial's home site to make sure those exact particular memory chips are compatible with your Mac model if you haven't done so already.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will one of these two suffice? Will 16 show noticeably better performance over 8?

As pm-r mentioned...it depends what apps you use...and how many apps are open at the same time.

If all you said you were doing was email and internet browsing...then 16gig of RAM would very likely not be any different than 8gig of RAM...simply because the 8gig of RAM isn't being fully utilized. And if 8gig of RAM isn't being utilized...then 16gig of RAM won't be either. But run a bunch of RAM hungry apps...and 16gig will certainly be taken advantage of.:)

If you see yourself hanging onto this computer for a while...then go for the 16gig of RAM.:)

- Nick

OP
XSV

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
I'd sure check with Crucial's home site to make sure those exact particular memory chips are compatible with your Mac model if you haven't done so already.

Good call, stats seemed the same but part numbers were slightly different.

Last edited:
OP
XSV

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
As pm-r mentioned...it depends what apps you use...and how many apps are open at the same time.

If all you said you were doing was email and internet browsing...then 16gig of RAM would very likely not be any different than 8gig of RAM...simply because the 8gig of RAM isn't being fully utilized. And if 8gig of RAM isn't being utilized...then 16gig of RAM won't be either. But run a bunch of RAM hungry apps...and 16gig will certainly be taken advantage of.:)

If you see yourself hanging onto this computer for a while...then go for the 16gig of RAM.:)

- Nick

I plan on keeping it, might as well. Other than the RAM issues, it's been great. Going for the 16gb, because POWER!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on keeping it, might as well. Other than the RAM issues, it's been great. Going for the 16gb, because POWER!

Just under $100 for 16gig is a pretty good price too.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just under $100 for 16gig is a pretty good price too.:)

- Nick

That's less than a few large special coffees at some of those speciality coffee places, and you just end up "renting" that coffee for just a short time!! ;D

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and you just end up "renting" that coffee for just a short time!! ;D

Exactly! Literally money down the drain!;)

- Nick

OP
XSV

XSV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2012
No matter what, $100-150 makes way more sense then dropping $1,800 on a new one just for a touch bar and a whopping 256GB of storage... ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's less than a few large special coffees at some of those speciality coffee places, and you just end up "renting" that coffee for just a short time!! ;D

- Patrick
======
Proud to say I have no idea what such beverages actually cost.
Are you speaking from experience Patrick? :Smirk: You don't strike me as the fancy coffee type.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you speaking from experience Patrick? :Smirk: You don't strike me as the fancy coffee type.

I assume then that you have not been into a Starbucks lately? The price for a regular size coffee is approaching $3.00. And if you would rather have one of those fancy Latté drinks, make sure you have your credit card handy. And yes, they accept Apple Pay. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm miles away from the nearest full blown Starbucks so no danger of going into one any time soon. I think I was near enough to check out the prices a few years ago. Too rich for my wallet unless someone else is paying.

I haven't couched a cup of coffee in several years. Had a cup one night after a meal at a restuaruant. Before that I don't think I've had coffee since I was a teen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You would be correct Sly, I just like my coffee creamy and sweet and reasonably strong. Hot or cold.

I've just noticed some of the crazy prices on the sidewalk chalkboards some Starbucks etc. stores use and I have a strong policy to never support any Starbucks stores.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.