I want to transfer ~1.26TB folder from an ExFat HD to my new ExFat HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Thought it be a simple task of just dragging the folder from old USB3 Exfat external HD into the new USB3 HD, which has also only been reformatted as Exfat using Disk Utility. So thought it was a matter of waiting, took literally hours ~ 7 hours! Both are 4TB drives, problem is the transfer failed, only 2188 files of the 12,710 filed, folder successfully transferred, meaning l have to manually transfer ~ 1000 files a time. is this unreliability of transfer normal, so have to resort to breaking down the transfer manually, transferring about 136GB a time? how to get a faster transfer? my mbpr 2012 has 2 thunderbolt connections but not sure if can get a thunderbolt cable for the 4TB WD my passport HD.
thanks in advance :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First let's start by saying that transferring ~1.26 terabyte of stuff in a single go...is quite a lot. And it's going to take a while. In the past...I've always found it to be more efficient & reliable to break up BIG transfers llke this into smaller "bites"...(not bytes). lol

As far as the faster transfer. I'm guessing (from the way it sounds)...that doing a large single transfer of this size is not something you do very often. If this is the case (maybe do this sort of thing once/year...or once every couple years)...spending possibily a lot of money to get faster transfers for something you don't do very often...is probably not necessary. If you did this sort of thing daily or weekly...then yes...maybe finding a faster transfer method might be a good idea.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
First let's start by saying that transferring ~1.26 terabyte of stuff in a single go...is quite a lot. And it's going to take a while. In the past...I've always found it to be more efficient & reliable to break up BIG transfers llke this into smaller "bites"...(not bytes). lol

As far as the faster transfer. I'm guessing (from the way it sounds)...that doing a large single transfer of this size is not something you do very often. If this is the case (maybe do this sort of thing once/year...or once every couple years)...spending possibily a lot of money to get faster transfers for something you don't do very often...is probably not necessary. If you did this sort of thing daily or weekly...then yes...maybe finding a faster transfer method might be a good idea.:)

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks for information Nick, actually first time ever transferring such a large amount, naively thought it won't take that long and even if it did it will be all transferred, but only about 15% was successful, so am transferring it repeatedly at about 147GB a time and seems to be working. would only transfer like this once every 1-2 years. and only wait for transfer to complete before doing another transfer right? otherwise it seems to slow down the overall transfer. correct?
thanks again for information

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for information Nick, actually first time ever transferring such a large amount, naively thought it won't take that long and even if it did it will be all transferred, but only about 15% was successful, so am transferring it repeatedly at about 147GB a time and seems to be working. would only transfer like this once every 1-2 years. and only wait for transfer to complete before doing another transfer right? otherwise it seems to slow down the overall transfer. correct?
thanks again for information

Good deal. I know you would like things to be faster (we all do)...but for something only done every couple years...not worth spending lots of money on.

Yes more than likely...multiple simulataineaous transfers will just slow each other down. But hey who knows...you could try it (2 transfers at a time)...and see if the cumulative time total of the 2 transfers is a lot more than just one. I like to experiment.:)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm just wondering here, so Nick, don't let me mislead Applet;

Although there is a modest cost involved, would it not be safer, more secure and potentially easier to use cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to do the job for you?

You should get the whole job done in one go. It may take a similar time, but the results should be reliable??

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a bad idea Ian.:) I'm just wondering if the "overhead" of the app (CCC or SuperDuper) would add a little extra processing time compared to a straightup copy that only involves the OS.

But having said that...if there's some small incremental time added to the process due to the app...maybe that's worth it to have everything done dependably in one go...and just be able to walk away from it...and not have to "babysit" it doing multiple smaller transfers.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I might have to conduct a few experiments on this one day to see if using something like CCC is faster. When I restore nearly a terabyte from one drive to another via CCC it does seem faster than using say Migration Assistant transfers from a Time Machine backup. CCC feels faster but I've never tested it.

Two other questions occurred to me:

1. The OP mentioned using Thunderbolt as an alternative. Would that be significanly faster than say USB 3.1/USB C? Don't think so but I am not sure.
2. Assuming someone were to time this type of operation which I might do if I get bored enough is there some whay to figure out the elapsed time from either system logs or a utility in lieu of sitting there whatching the clock for hours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The issue will always be going from external to external and the write speed of the destination device. If one drive writes faster, use that as the destination drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks all for information. l think l will just 'baby sit' the transfer esp if it costs for the CC / SDC, as it's only several important / critical folders. Nick, actually first time ever transferring such a large amount, naively thought it won't take that long and even if it did it will be all transferred, but only about 15% was successful, so am transferring it repeatedly at about 147GB a time and seems to be working. what is the maximum transfer amount at one time for USB3 from one external drive to other via mbpr? l would only transfer like this once every 1-2 years. and only wait for transfer to complete before doing another transfer right? otherwise it seems to slow down the overall transfer. correct?
thanks again for information all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm just wondering here, so Nick, don't let me mislead Applet;

Although there is a modest cost involved, would it not be safer, more secure and potentially easier to use cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to do the job for you?

You should get the whole job done in one go. It may take a similar time, but the results should be reliable??

Ian

At least using that suggestion, AFAIK, CCC still uses a verification process during a copy process so should give some message if some files can't be copied.

BTW: If tat's a early 2012 MBP, its ports use/do:
Two USB 3.0 ports (up to 5 Gbps), one Firewire "800" (up to 800 Mbps) port or
Thunderbolt standard, which provides a maximum theoretical 10 Gbps of bandwidth in both directions.

Even with a TB adapter/cable, I'd doubt that the WD my passport HD could exceed the speed of its USB ports or even the drive itself

They aren't exactly classed as enterprise drives. :Smirk:

PS: Regardless I'd try copying multiple smaller blocks of files/folders at a time as well.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.