Trying to identify a specific part on the Bluetooth/Airport Board

Reaction score
Hi experts! I opened up my mid-2012 macbook pro to replace the black plastic clutch cover, which had cracked, and I managed to successfully replace it. However, in the process, I somehow broke one of the three antenna wires connected to the Airport/Bluetooth board. I put the computer back together without that one wire attached, and turned it on. It seems to be working fine for the most part, but I'm trying to figure out what that part is, and what it does, so I can anticipate problems to look out for in the future. And yes, lesson learned that in the future I should take my computer into an expert for a delicate job like this.

I've attached 2 photos with the missing antenna circled in pink. Thanks so much! Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 6.57.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 6.53.13 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

How is your WiFi reception? And is BT ok?

And... can you solder the antenna wire to the connector?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for responding. The bluetooth works, and I haven't noticed a problem with the wifi, but I'm usually pretty close to the router. As far as soldering, it looks like it might be a little more intricate than that, like it doesn't seem to just be one solid metal wire, so I'm not sure soldering would fix it.

Welcome to our forums.

How is your WiFi reception? And is BT ok?

And... can you solder the antenna wire to the connector?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The cables are; Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Camera, according to ifixit.com. I believe two are for Wi-Fi, but not positive?

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, just checked the camera and it's working. Is there a way to figure out which wire is which? Somewhere I can find a diagram of parts that labels what does what? Trying to decide if it's something I need to fix or not.

The cables are; Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Camera, according to ifixit.com. I believe two are for Wi-Fi, but not positive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.