Installed Private Eye Network Monitor and nothing??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
Hello All,
I downloaded and installed Private Eye like all mac apps, downloaded, installed fine. It asked me for the Admin pw when installing so I'm guessing the permissions were done correctly?

Open the app, it doesn't react to anything. launch a new browser window, nothing in the applications section of the Private Eye where the video and youtube say the activity should show.

I'm expecting ok maybe because these other apps are all open before PE comes into play it doesn't go and look at what's active (that would be lame though) but then I launch several network traffic browser windows, zoom meeting app, mail app, password manager sync app, no activity.

The preferences are greyed out and so are most of the other tools on the pull down menues. Looking for support got me Radiosilence, no Private Eye support that I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacOS High Serria, MBP MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried to find out what I could about the Private Eye Network Monitor. It appears that it's no longer supported and very likely out of date for High Sierra. My advice is to uninstall it. If you need a good Network Monitor I suggest "Little Snitch" which works quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why not try radiosilence?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It appears that it's no longer supported and very likely out of date for High Sierra.

I'd say that's a pretty good understatement Charlie considering it was last released 10 Oct 2011 and for "OS X 10.7 or later". And I'd sure question the "or later" support!!
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40490/private-eye

- Patrick
======

OP
kd929
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15' Intel i7-2.7GHz, 16Gb, NVIDIA GeForceGT
Thank you All for the info, sounds like fun ya old. Little Snitch I’ll try, I’m looking for lite traffic monitoring, so I can tell if slow browser due to high volume on the wire or slow processing due to huge download or whatever. I’ll read radio silence and little an reviews. I’ll let you know the final assessment. ThNk you again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.