Imac mid-2011 CPU fan low speed (420 rpm)

Reaction score
Hi everybody (sorry for my poor english but i am french from Bordeaux...)

I am the happy user of an imac 27" mid-2011 i5 2.7 ghz (version 12,2) since 2012.

Recently, i noticed that the left high part of the screen heated a lot and made an apple diagnosis that obtained the error 4MOT/4/4000003: HDD-1487
I also installed MacFan who indicated 0 RPM for CPU fan.
I also replaced CPU fan with a resturbished one and in the same time installed an SSD on the first SATA port and leaved the original HDD on the second one.

Since this operation, i have the error 4MOT/4/4000002: CPU-391 and CPU fan which turns to 380-430 RPM but can't modify the speed with MacFan. The CPU temperature somtimes reach 70° C (158 ° F).

I red the problems of probe which can cause an acceleration of this fan, but nothing on a low speed.
I also wished to test the fan (maybe the resturbished is also altered ?) with a PWM prototype but didn't found any thing about the connector pin out of my imac version.

I am a little lost ...

Thank you for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Your English is a lot better than my French. :)

The error you're receiving is a temperature sensor error. From your description, I can't tell if it's because the sensor itself is defective or because you installed an SSD in addition to the HDD. Why don't you disconnect the HDD as a test to see what the fans speeds are and the temperatures?

Your 2011 iMac actually has three sets of temperature sensors and fans: HDD, CPU, and Optical Drive. And yes, it's possible that the refurbished fan you bought is likewise defective.

OP
O
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Your English is a lot better than my French. :)

The error you're receiving is a temperature sensor error. From your description, I can't tell if it's because the sensor itself is defective or because you installed an SSD in addition to the HDD. Why don't you disconnect the HDD as a test to see what the fans speeds are and the temperatures?

Your 2011 iMac actually has three sets of temperature sensors and fans: HDD, CPU, and Optical Drive. And yes, it's possible that the refurbished fan you bought is likewise defective.

Thx a lot for your advises. I'll try it this weekend and report you the results after.

Have a nice day !

Olivier

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.