Ethernet not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think the ISP restriction(s) are actually on how many can attach to the ISP service, not how many are on the internal LAN side.

Thanks Jake, I should have clarified that fact. If in fact the usually old restricted practice is still in place.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I went to a friend's house and plugged the ethernet cable into his router via a Thunderbolt adapter. But it did not work.
Like my router, his came from an ISP (different from mine). Like me he has his computer (a PC) permanently plugged via an ethernet cable into the router, which is a few feet from his desk.
Now, can one normally take an MPB and plug it into another router (provided by another ISP) without making any changes to the configuration?
When I looked at "Network" (Sys Prefs), the message was: "Thunderbolt Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address ..."
I see the same message here. Moreover, the IP address at his house (like here) did not start with 169.
I hesitate to fiddle around because I don't want to risk messing things up.
There's an Apple Store not so far away and I guess I'll ask them to check it out.
Meanwhile any other comments would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, take it to the Apple store. Something is not right in the setup and we will spend a lot of time trying to figure it out remotely when the guys in the store can troubleshoot it in minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meanwhile any other comments would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
M

I don't know if it will help, but you could try using the Network pref pane to help troubleshoot:
Click the "Assist me…" button, then the "Diagnostics…" button in the window that pops up and you should end up with something that looks like this with ALL the status lights green and working:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 10.27.40 AM.png

You might want to try shutting down both the router and computer and then boot each, but start with the router first and the computer last.

But the visit to the Apple Store sounds like the best method to try.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to both for the replies.
With regard to the suggestion from pm-r: alas, Assist Me and Network Diagnostics have been removed from 10.13.6 (High Sierra). There's a lot of grumbling about this elsewhere on the internet. At least one work-around is given but it looks a bit complicated and I don't fancy it.
I'll try the shut down procedure that you mention but guess I've done this before.
However, I'd appreciate thoughts on my question:

Now, can one normally take an MPB and plug it into another router (provided by another ISP) without making any changes to the configuration?

Also how about the fact that my friend is using a PC (not a Mac) to connect to his router via ethernet? Would this upset the configuration?

Otherwise I'll make tracks to the Apple Store and report back.
Thanks.
M

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you hold Option down, and click on the Airport Wi-Fi icon in the Menu bar, there will be a Wireless Diagnostics option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, as long as it is set for DHCP. To check that, open System Preferences>Network and click on the Ethernet interface on the left. On the right box in the middle is "Configure IPv4:" and in the window should be "Using DHCP." If it is NOT there, that's the problem. Make it "Using DHCP."

Also how about the fact that my friend is using a PC (not a Mac) to connect to his router via ethernet? Would this upset the configuration?
No. Other devices don't interfere as long as everybody is using DHCP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With regard to the suggestion from pm-r: alas, Assist Me and Network Diagnostics have been removed from 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Good grief Apple!!! Have they left in any useful "features" with their latest "New and Improved" macOSs???

Oh right, I hear they've included some animated turds and a bunch of new emojis, Wow!! That should help eh???

Sorry but… oh never mind… :Grimmace:

EDIT:
Or are they just doing things differently with macOS High Sierra???

Apple now says:
If you can’t connect your Mac to the Internet
Open Network preferences and check the status of your network connection services, such as Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Green indicates the service is active (turned on) and connected. Yellow indicates it’s active but not connected. Red indicates the service has not been set up.
https://support.apple.com/en-hk/gui...mac-to-the-internet-mchlp1202/10.13/mac/10.13

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you and Mikeo read Bob's reply #26? Because if you did, you would find out that the "Network Diagnostics" have NOT been removed from High Sierra 10.13.6. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also if you want to find the Network Utility that used to be in the Utilities menu, open Spotlight and type Network Utility. It's still there and very useful. Tells network connect speeds for all networks, IP's and lets you ping, traceroute and many other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you and Mikeo read Bob's reply #26? Because if you did, you would find out that the "Network Diagnostics" have NOT been removed from High Sierra 10.13.6. ;D

Except, that option is for Wireless Diagnostics ONLY!! Unless Apple actually added Ethernet which I'd doubt.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also if you want to find the Network Utility that used to be in the Utilities menu, open Spotlight and type Network Utility. It's still there and very useful. Tells network connect speeds for all networks, IP's and lets you ping, traceroute and many other options.

Good info that lots of users could use Dennis.

But is it still there when using the latest macOS versions??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
spotlight, enter Network Utility. It's there in HS 10.13.6 and for all interfaces.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Still there in the Mojave betas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
According to Apple the location of this utility has changed over the years
[FONT=&quot]Find Network Utility using [/FONT]Spotlight[FONT=&quot] or in these places on your Mac:[/FONT]
  • In OS X Mavericks and later, Network Utility is in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications.
  • In OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, and Snow Leopard, Network Utility is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
See here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you hold Option down, and click on the Airport Wi-Fi icon in the Menu bar, there will be a Wireless Diagnostics option.

Except, that option is for Wireless Diagnostics ONLY!! Unless Apple actually added Ethernet which I'd doubt.
- Patrick
======

Opps, my mistake, using Bob's suggestion does take one to the "Wireless Diagnostics", but the Ethernet and other connection methods are also available in the same "Network" diagnostics window.
PS: I didn't even need to press the option key to access the option at the bottom of the dropdown window. (Maybe just a Mavericks thing???)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
Check If there's a need to change your MBP, ethernet cables and router by cross-checking it using a different computer. Also, check if the port on your computer is damage or not working well because eventually you cannot connect to the router. You can also try to turn off any Antivirus or Firewall temporarily 'cause sometimes it can stop you from connecting to the local network.

OP
M
Reaction score
I drove to the Apple Store this morning having first made an appointment.
And I'm glad to report that the issue with my non-functioning Ethernet is now sorted.
It was a kind of self-inflicted wound centred on the 'Location' option in the Apple Menu.
For some reason or other I had many different locations in there but I had not altered anything for a long time. Anyway, the location that I had been using had gotten corrupted in some way and the solution was to select 'Automatic'.
I trust that when I move back to my other regular places, the 'Automatic' selection will do its stuff there.
I hope that my post will help someone else who gets a similar problem.
M

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great news! Thanks for reporting back and so glad it was figured out. I have seen that happen but with me it's very rare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.