Apple Software - iWork 065-7672 No iWork Preinstalled
Apple Software - Final Cut Exp 065-7674 No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
Apple Software - Aperture 065-7673 No Aperture Preinstalled
Apple Software - Logic Express 065-7675 No Logic Exp Preinstalled
Mouse from AOS 065-7551 Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
MAC OS Language 065-6954 WL KYBRD & MAC OS X KIT
Country Kit 065-6957 Country Kit
Ships by: 04-30-2008

I get a white screen with a folder containing a question mark flashing on & off in the center of screen.
This has happened twice in the last 3 weeks. Once when re-starting from sleep mode, & once when starting from an overnight shutdown.
I have to shut it down & re-start.

Found this thread related to the problem.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2806824

Possible causes addressed: directory corruption - hard drive going bad
I haven’t tried any of the recommendations yet. I was hoping to upgrade the OS one more time before buying a new iMac, would this do anything to address the issue ?

I have appointments & errands this afternoon, & may be away until tomorrow. Please be patient if I don’t reply before then.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With a machine that old I would first suspect a failing hard drive. Since the display on that machine can easily be removed it should not be difficult at all to swap a new hard drive in it. However, make sure you have a backup and a way to install the backup. By that I mean either the dvd drive is functional or you have a USB installer. Remember, if you install a new hard drive you have to have a way to format it and get it prepared to accept the backup.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are on the original HD, then it is definitely failing on you. Since the machine is quite ancient, in my opinion, it really isn't wroth spending the money to upgrade the storage, since I don't believe it can be upgraded being El Cap anyway. You might as well put the money against a newer machine that will serve you for the next 10+ years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 for not bothering with it. As has been said, the 99% solution is the hard drive is failing. I would make a good backup of it, then look for a replacement. You can go NEW or you can look for a refurbished machine from APPLE at their refurbished site and save 10-15%, or you can look locally for a replacement on all the usual places (Craig's list, eBay, etc). Even BestBuy might have a floor model at a discount. But reinstalling anything on that drive is not going to make it better, but in fact may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
easilyscan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The people have spoken, & it’s unanimous, I need a new iMac. I'm going to go ahead & order a new one sometime within the next week or two.
I have a few questions about the changeover that I'm hoping can be answered here.

Backup: *I’ve never set up, & therefore never used Time Machine*
I’ve already backed up any files/folders containing personal information (PDF files of my tax returns & those I’ve done for family/friends, contacts, etc) on encrypted flash drives.

Applications. I assume it's only necessary to back up software I've added since I purchased the Mac ?

Here's a screenshot.
If I’m right, the only things I would need to back up are, Adobe flash, Burn, HP folder, HP easy scan, paintbrush, text edit, videoGIF, wondershare ultimate, & Zipeg ?

Misc. Questions: Since it's been so long, I can't remember some things related to using a new computer. For instance, when I first go online with my new iMac, will the site’s I use that require passwords recognize me, or will I have to set up new usernames & passwords ? I sure hope not.

The next question/comment is related to what I want/need from my new iMac.
I don't watch movies/tv on it, & I'm not a gamer. My passion is storm chasing, & editing the videos I take. I filmed an incredible tornadic supercell on July 9 2017

I had a terrible time editing this footage using iMovie. Almost constant crash’s, freeze-ups, etc. I suppose this was due to the age of my iMac, but now I have a full HD camcorder, & I'm wondering if I should upgrade the memory right from the start ? One thing I’m hoping is available on the newer version, is the ability to speed-up/slow down select portions of video.
“I may have to post this question @ a specialized forum*

That's all I can think of right now, although I'm certain many more questions will arise during the process.
Appreciate any/all tips, tricks, suggestions, etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Misc. Questions: Since it's been so long, I can't remember some things related to using a new computer. For instance, when I first go online with my new iMac, will the site’s I use that require passwords recognize me, or will I have to set up new usernames & passwords ? I sure hope not.

First off, I'd suggest getting an external drive and, a personal preference, using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to create a complete bootable clone of your current Mac.
https://bombich.com

Then head off a do some googling on 'how to switch to a new mac' etc:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+switch+to+a+new+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Among the hits should be some sites like Apple's own:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht204350

One of the main successes for a switch over is to do it and follow the directions immediately after turning on the new Mac.
DO NOT WAIT AND TRY DOING IT LATER ON.

You'll be told to connect the old Mac or backup drive and then just follow directions and migrate all your data, settings and apps. The Migration will sort out what to migrate and leave the most current without duplications.

Good luck.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I don't think any of the software you have will need to be backed up. You will only need to connect both computers with an ethernet cord and enable Migration Assistant on the new Mac. It should transfer over without an issue, and if there is an issue, you still have it on the old Mac. MA will also transfer all your saved passwords and OS settings, so it should be almost the same as your old Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for what Patrick suggested. If you do NOT take the first opportunity to migrate the data, the migration gets more complicated. If you migrate at the FIRST opportunity to do so, you will find when it is done that there is a new account exactly like your account on the old machine, with everything where it was on the old account. If you don't take the opportunity, the next thing you will do will be to create a new account, but after that, if you use MA, it will NOT migrate into that account, but create a new one. And if you use the same name for the new account, the one MA will create will be some random name. Where it gets complicated is that the files migrated into that NEW account name will not belong to you and you will have to do some work to get them over to your account and to give yourself access to them.

Bottom line, use MA early and avoid the hassle. Once the migration is done, the drive you used on the old can be repurposed to be the backup drive on the new. You do know you really, really should back up, right? There are only two types of people in the world: Those whose drives have failed and those whose drives will fail. Before you move from the latter to the former, get a backup in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@easilyscan
The people have spoken, & it’s unanimous, I need a new iMac. I'm going to go ahead & order a new one sometime within the next week or two.

I didn't notice it being mentioned here, but if you like to save some money on your new iMac easilyscan, I mention purchasing one through Apple's Refurbished Store in case you weren't aware of it.

- Patrick
======

OP
easilyscan
Reaction score
Thank you Patrick-Bob & Jake. I hadn't even thought of using Migration Assistant! That's why I love this site!

*Update* While researching earlier this week, I read that with new iMacs, you can't upgrade the RAM after purchase ?
So I just called 1-800-My-Apple to see if this is true. According to the person I talked to, the RAM is only upgradeable on the 27" (I want the 21")

I have to assume this is true, but for the life of me, I can't understand why ?
Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to assume this is true, but for the life of me, I can't understand why ?
Can anyone shed some light on this ?

True as far as the iMac 21" is concerned I believe.

For that and more info and specs for all Apple products, you can check at:
http://www.everymac.com/

Just click to choose the model you need to know about.

PS: The reason WHY usually always eventually comes down to MONEY!!! Not just Apple and computers either… :|

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 21" does not have an access panel to upgrade the memory. The 27" does. As for why, as Patrick says, it probably comes down to money, although it might also be about space inside the unit for the sockets, given how thin those things are. Who know? Apple does as Apple does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just came across this chart from Apple that might help and be handy for some:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205040

Note the #3 notation for some models that states:
These iMac models have no user-installable SDRAM slots. An Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) can install SDRAM in these computers.

So I gather that some Macs labeled as "Mac models have no user-installable SDRAM slots" CAN be added to by an AASP tech.

I haven't checked to see what's involved or if any good Mac tech could do the same addition or replacement, but maybe the RAM modules are Apple propriety??? At this point I don't know.

EDIT: It seems any VERY competent and PATIENT individual can upgrade the RAM in a 2017 21" iMac:
http://www.popularyoutube.com/video/Nh8wQVLhe_Q/MotherboardHow-to-Upgrade-RAM-in-a-2017-iMac

No access door and the iMac must be completely disassembled. Definitely not an easy quick job!!!

Personally I'd say Jony Ive should be demoted and have a lot of his design credits cast aside if that what he manages to do to screw things up. Heck, the RAM isn't even soldered in but sits in normal RAM brackets!! Gheese!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
ifixit.com says it is a D-I-Y job for the 2017 model year,

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of getting inside either the 21.5" or 27" model iMacs to do any kind of work, thoroughly read the disassembly steps. Also note that on the 2017 21.5" iMac the logic board has to be completely removed before the memory modules can be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thoroughly read the disassembly steps.

I would also seriously re-consider and somewhat doubt what they seem to label the procedure as "Moderate". Hmmm…???

- Patrick
======

OP
easilyscan
Reaction score
If the price to upgrade RAM @ purchase time wasn't so preposterous, I wouldn't have a problem with this.
All I can say @ this time, is that I'm very disappointed with Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you stated that you wanted the 21.5" model rather than the 27". I owned and used a 21.5" iMac for 4 years before I gave it away to a relative and purchased a 27" model instead. I would never go back to the 21.5" models after using a 27" iMac. I have plenty of room for a 27" model on my desk and understand why some folks prefer the smaller display perhaps because of limited space.

Apple has always overcharged for memory upgrades and especially for SSD upgrades. When I ordered my latest 27" iMac I could have saved quite a bit of money if I had ordered the standard Fusion hard drive combo. Instead I opted for a SSD which wound up costing me an extra $400. Yeah, Apple's upgrade prices can be daunting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you stated that you wanted the 21.5" model rather than the 27". I owned and used a 21.5" iMac for 4 years before I gave it away to a relative and purchased a 27" model instead.

+1. Even though my 2007 24" iMac went to my wife for her to use, it's still a nice size display but the 21" iMacs I've had a chance to try would be too small for my daily use and I find my mid-2011 27" is just about right and better suits my use and a neighbor's old Apple 30" would be too large for me for daily use.

So I'd agree with Charlie and maybe consider the 27" that also gives you the option to change the memory if needed.

PS: Yes, I do have a very large desk it gets used on thanks to my caring wife and COSTCO's Whalen furniture department that had it on sale several years ago.

PPS: Also I believe the 27" comes with a better display and graphics card and a few other improvements over the 21" if they are needed or desired.

Yes, and with some additional costs.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.