VOLUME is greyed out and I can't select Internal Speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac 3.1 GHz i5, 16 GB memory,OS X 10.9.4
Hi,

My Mid 2011 27" iMac has lost it's sound, the volume control is greyed out and the only options are Digital Out & Apple TV. When I do a restart I do hear the sound Boing that comes through the internal speakers. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for bringing my sound back would be greatly accepted.

Thanks
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure nothing is stuck in the headphone jack. If the jack is clear, try inserting headphones in and out several times to see if you can get sound through them. If those steps don't work, try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

OP
paulharris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag,

The headphone jack is clear and works OK when I plug in my headphones. I have reset the SMC & PRAM but it's just the same.

One thing that I did notice was that when the Volume control is greyed out, I put the headphone jack in and it changes to black with a tick next to Headphones. If I then pull the jack out it becomes grey again and the Headphones selection disappears leaving the tick on Digital Out. There is no Internal Speakers setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version is your iMac running?

OP
paulharris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have an external monitor in use?

Edit: How are you currently connected to your Apple TV? Maybe the sound is coming through that and if you tun it on, you'll hear the sound? I not familiar with it, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:
OP
paulharris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No external monitor, the only thing connected is an external usb drive that I use for TimeMachine Backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.