Windows sharing with Mac....

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've shared one of the NTFS drives (drive D) on WINXP.I want to connect to WINXP in order to have access to the contents of 'D' and mount the drive from my Mac (High Sierra).
The Mac can see the share name but can't open it :Confused:.I think there's a mounting problem.If I share a Fat32 USB on WINXP, The Mac can simply open it as a drive and there's no problem with it.

Your helps would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Kamyar

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
macOS has native support for FAT32 and ExFAT removable drives (USB sticks, external HDs) and that will work as a way of sharing files between machines. macOS does NOT support writing to NTFS drives natively, but can read it without any issues. What are the permissions of the shared drive on Windows? If this is a closed (local) network, then you might want to set it to be accessible by everyone without a username/password combination. That might make it easily accessible to macOS.

OP
K
Reaction score
What are the permissions of the shared drive on Windows? If this is a closed (local) network, then you might want to set it to be accessible by everyone without a username/password combination. That might make it easily accessible to macOS.

The permissions are Anyone from Anywhere, also the Guest user is active on WINXP.

The following error's captured from Console on Mac; D is NTFS partition on WINXP (192.168.100.4)
Capture d’écran 2018-07-06 à 6.31.33 PM.png

Regards,

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's been years since I've used Windows and all my shares in my network are on a NAS which exposes them through SMB/NFS/AFP, so I don't have a ton of experience with direct sharing without some sort of a server in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.